A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Update on window washer fluid leaking into car ... some questions ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on window washer fluid leaking into car ... some questions ...

2002 s6 -
Rear drivers side floor area totally soaked in washer fluid. The dealer first advised that there was a leak in the rear washer hose that runs through the headliner. After some checking, the dealer found that the rear washer hose was leaking where it enters the firewall, near the dead foot pedal, then flowing down to the lowest point (drivers side rear floor).
WarrantyDirect first told me this would be a covered item, but when the dealer called, they advised it was not covered under the "hoses, tubing" clause. I asked WarrantyDirect if a brake line would be covered, and they said "yes", so it's up to them to decide what "hose,tubing" is covered. The dealer advised they could repair the break for approx $500
or
for $800 they would repair the break, and remove the driver seat and carpet to check for puddling washer fluid. I made a final appeal to WarrantyDirect, and they sent someone out to look at the car, and coverage was still denied.
I paid the dealer $500 to repair it, then I steam cleaned the carpet, but it still smells like nasty washer fluid.
1) WarrantyDirect advises that it's not coverered .. the end. Is there any other action I can take with them. I realize why belts and engine hoses are not covered, but I think this is a valid claim
2) How hard would it be for me to remove the drivers seat and carpeting in that area, in order to properly dry out ... I don't need to use the car everyday and I could let it sit for a while
3) The carpet is dry to the touch, but still smells alot when the car sits for a while with the windows closed. The steam cleaning solution used did not help with the odor ... I also put a "lava rock" odor eating bag on the rear floor.
Is there a better odor remover ...
Thanks for any advise
Old 01-28-2008, 08:51 PM

Default Re: fix for fluid smell...

Here is some helpful advice: Washer fluid is comprised of methyl hydrate (keeps it from freezing in cold climates) and amonia in warm climates.

If you have a stinky sharp smell thats most likely a higher amonia concentrate. This is also the key ingrediant in cat pee. If you go to a pet store and buy a cat pee odor neutralizer and spray that in the offending area it should neutralize the odor. After that Fabreeze for cars works to "freshen" things up. BUT you have to neutralize the amonia smell first.

Hope that helps - had the same problem in our Dodge Caravan - before the 4th transmission blew and the car caught fire...
Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To remove the carpet, you would need to remove the seats and the lower trim...

...as well as the center console. Not a quick job, but certainly possible. If you search around, there are plenty of references for how to remove the seats (front and back), the lower door sill trim, but I am not sure if there is a good wrietup on how to remove the center console.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 AM

That's the smell ... Thanks for the suggestion