A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

V vs H rated tires Dry Traction vs Snow Traction & durability

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V vs H rated tires Dry Traction vs Snow Traction & durability

I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A 215/55HR16 on a 2000 2.7t and am very much in like with them. I'd enjoy having dedicated summer & winter tires, but just can't justify the need for two sets of tires to cover all of my driving.

Anyway, I think the All Season RS-A's are a very good tire for the price. When it comes time to replace the tires, I would like to get a V rated tire. I got the car up to 120mph for a few miles last week and it felt a little floaty. I'd like to lose some of the floaty feeling, but I don't want to sacrifice the smooth ride, low noise and good snow traction the current RS-A's give me.

To get the v-rating, I am considering the Goodyear Eagle RS-A 225/50VR16. Wider tread, and lower profile, but not by much. I have been at tirerack, 1010tires and about 5 other websites, and I think I know what the change would give me, Pro & Con. What do you think?

CONS would be:
Might be slightly louder, slightly less smooth riding and get just a little bit less traction in the snow. I am thinking the differences would need measuring equipment to notice, I'll never be able to tell. I drive pretty "easy" 90% of the time.

PROS would be:
A longer lasting tire, slightly improved handling on dry pavement, and for the other 10% of my driving, less floaty feeling. Once again, not much, but it would be better.

Will I even notice a difference?
Will the V-rated tire last longer?
Does the V-rating mean it is a better tire no matter how you evaluate it?
Old 11-15-2003, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The V means it is rated up to 149 MPH vs. 130 MPH for the H. If there's a difference in wear, the V

rated tire would, if anything , wear faster. It would maybe be a little stickier since it's compound disipitates heat better (a little softer). The floatiness you feel is from the suspension and the tires probably won't do a thing for it. You must have the std suspension and not the sport (a little lower and stiffer). To improve handling and floatiness you would need a tire with stiffer sidewall's and stiffer and lower springs and shocks. Post again if you need suggestions but weekdays will bring much more response. LOL.