A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

V8 4.2 Timing Belt Pros....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tensioner is supposed to be replaced on all T belt jobs 1.8T - 4.2 V8
Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why I try to do as much work on my car as I can, myself.

If the pro's screw up, it's your problem. If you screw up it's your problem. At least you'd have to lie to yourself when you screw up in order to blame someone else - you KNOW they'll lie to you when they screw up.

Not sounding like the most effective solution so far...
Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

The problem with installing a used engine is it hasn't been run for who knows how long and many rubber parts should be replaced before putting the engine in, including the water pump, thermostat, TB, the various rollers and tensioner, and probably even a new intake manifold! Make damn sure the intake manifold on your used engine works...if they're swapping your old intake manifold onto a long block, you have the opportunity to do a reliability improvement, i.e., some hoses under the manifold, there's a devil-to-get-at O-ring between the long pipe from the rear of the engine to the front that should be replaced and you should replace the plastic pipe from the expansion tank to the upper radiator hose.

With the engine/trans out it wouldn't hurt to replace the two hoses from the engine to the heater core as well.

BTDT with a used engine on my 02S6....it was done under warranty and we went through three engines before we kept one...the used engine place even tried to dump an A8 engine on us....might have worked but would have had to change out the oil filter housing, etc., and the timing belt was slack when it came in so we just returned it.

LOOK at the used engine very carefully...you don't have to accept it if it's in worse condition than yours.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If the pros screw up you always have small claims court.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jeez, this is brutal. A buddy of mine went to small claims court with a transmission shop asking for something like $2400 to cover parts and labor because they used the wrong fluid on his automatic trans. He got $900 out of it, just enough to pay for his time and his attorney, and the shop paid him in pennies.

The problem with these transmission shops is that everyone knows they are a scam - except you - and so smearing their name on forums to prevent others from making the same mistake really won't achieve the desired result.

Really sorry to hear about this. Why don't you just take your engine, and the engine they give you, and whatever else they're willing to give you to prevent you from suing, and take the car home and fix it yourself?
Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thats a Dampener not a tensioner, though.. right?

Suppose it doesn't matter, but tension is set by eccentric pulley & that hydraulic device is just to reduce vibration. (as i understand)

I wouldn't think that a failure of the dampener alone would be enough to let a properly tensioned belt skip a tooth.

2nd Sloop's comment if its possible to get some of those ~5$ rubber/plastic parts (oil cooler pile, o-ring, cam/head seals) replaced during engine install it will save a ton of time down the road.

Fun stuff, hope this has a happy ending.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nope...tensioner, not dampener.

Whats really scary is they're made in China.....alibaba. Want to buy minimum order of 100?

http://cnsudes.en.alibaba.com/produc...59109479B.html

and no, it's not a seat belt tensioner....SEAT is a car name.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 05-18-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry about your buddy, not all transmission shops are scams. Good ones have been in business for years and don't have better business bureau complaints or records of small claims court losses.

A friend of mine had his ZF (BMW in this case) 3XX series car transmission repaired at a shop in Arlington, VA and was very much pleased with the workmanship and the warranty. 3 year/36K warranty which is better than the one year I got from Audi on my transmission.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default failed tensioner

Originally Posted by NJA642
I wouldn't think that a failure of the dampener alone would be enough to let a properly tensioned belt skip a tooth.
Mine failed after about 1500 miles and it trashed both heads. A piece of the tensioner lever arm broke off and got caught between the crank pulley and the belt and allowed the crank pulley to spin without turning the cam shafts. I guess. Anyway, new heads are on the way.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we are, giving advice, which is all the same - take the car out.

Not only did the OP not heed the advice (which admittedly takes some *****/determination), he is letting the transmission shop drop another engine in. Wow.

Son, you need a backbone, else you'll be taken in for a ride in this world. And you're letting the shop dictate to you their terms instead of the other way around. I feel for you, I was like that.

Quick Reply: V8 4.2 Timing Belt Pros....?