A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

V8 4.2 Timing Belt Pros....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFX
My failed tensioner can't be compressed at all by hand. However, the pin is extended and not limp.
You need either a hydraulic press or vise to push the plunger back down. Even though the tensioner is leaking, I don't believe that this is the cause of your bent valve. You already stated that the engine was running with plenty of power and quiet. If the tensioner had totally failed then you will have heard a tapping sound. I don't believe that Audi will do anything for you now. The people responsible for you engine problems is your indy mechanic, that you are using to install a rebuilt transmission and who now is starting to point their finger at anyone but themself. Your earlier post stated that they were taking full responsibilty for the problem of the bent valves. I guess that they have a change of heart. These guys are not your buddy and you should be going after them since you had a running engine when you brought the car to them. If the tensioner was causing a tapping sound then you could have brought the car back to Audi and they might have replace the tensioner. You also stated that they did a compression check and that it was OK, but now they are saying that there are bent valves. Since they were working on the back end of the engine, I am still wondering how could they have caused the timing to skip. Your indy is responsible for all your problems. Since your indy was saying that the timing had skipped, did they verify that the timing had skipped once they had the front end apart? Or are they still guessing.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like this is going to become an insurance claim through Aamco Transmissions indy owner ins, Travelers. My engine is ruined and I still don't know all the facts. They are acting like an airliner went down! I do know that I drove my 4.2 into the Aamco on 3/27/12, and now nearly 60 days later, the engine is ruined. I am disgusted, frustrated and furious. Aamco has been all over with their story, and I reported to the AWF as I was told by Aamco. There story has no logic or truth. Compression, no compression, bent valves, ruined block. I'll keep you updated to outcome. Thank you all for your comments and experiences!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default failed tensioner

My failed tensioner can't be compressed at all by hand. However, the pin is extended and not limp.
Mine was the same. Pin extended and can't be pushed back in. I couldn't push mine down to get the pin in as the lever was toast as well.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and now nearly 60 days later

whoa!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Mine was the same. Pin extended and can't be pushed back in. I couldn't push mine down to get the pin in as the lever was toast as well.
You can not push the pin back by hand. A hydraulic press or vise is need to push the pin back down. This shows that the hydraulic tensioner is working.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default timing belt tensioner

Originally Posted by audiqv8
You can not push the pin back by hand. A hydraulic press or vise is need to push the pin back down. This shows that the hydraulic tensioner is working.
Correct. I could not re-pre-load mine while it was still mounted on the engine since the lever was broken off. If the lever had been there I could have rotated the tensioner pulley to compress the piston on the tensioner and slipped the pin back in. In any event the piston on mine is dead as far as I can tell. We'll see what Blau says.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

<<<UPDATE>>> My repair has officially turned into an insurance claim, via business owner's policy. John Campi, Llc, d/b/a/ Aamco Transmissions Cherry Hill, 100 Frontage Road, Cherry Hill NJ 08034. This shop has no idea on what they need to do...for anything. Terrible, stay away!