A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

VAG-COM Cable Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG-COM Cable Help

Well I finally receiced my serial VAG-COM cable thast I bought from Ebay, however, it's not what I expected at all !

What I appear to have received is a cable with a 9-pin female D-Type on one end with the other end of the cable consisting of 4 x wires with soldered on contacts (Wires are Orange, Purple, Grey & Brown) and an ODB2 style connector.
I also have a black plastic box with a 9-pin on either side and a secons 9-pin to 9-pin cable - I originally assumed this was just a cable extender but I'm hoping that this is some king of dongle as after further investigation I dont believe you can just use a cable alone !?

The instructions are very vague so I'm unsure where I need to plug the wires in the ODB2 connector - Instructions say that Brown goes to pins 4 or 5 and the Grey to pin 16, however, there's no mention of the orange or purple wires !!

Does anyone have any ideas, or maybe even a wiring diagram for a Serial to ODB2 cable?
Many thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 03:18 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default My suggestion:

www.ross-tech.com
Old 08-18-2005, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why don't you contact the vendor? And the wire colours are meaningless.

Again, the vendor is a borderline crook. The auction ad that you bought from is, at best, deceiving. It is incomplete and misleading. And the product isn't even fully assembled? Have you even tried to ask them to support their own product?

In any event, here are some answers:

- Yes, the black box is a dongle. It converts pins and signals from the OBDII connector to the serial port. It is the guts of what you bought.

- The other 2 pins in use on your OBDII connector are 14 and 16. The wire colours mean nothing. They are arbitrary, and asking where purple goes is unanswerable without more context.

- I believe that, if you can pull back the sheathing, Pin 8 on the 9-pin serial connector goes to Pin 15. That, of course, leaves the other wire to Pin 14. If that doesn't work, then swap them. By deduction, that's your only other option assuming you didn't get crap instructions (Gee, what are the chances?) and the dongle actually works.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Why don't you contact the vendor? And the wire colours are meaningless.

Hi

Thanks for the help.
Having re-read the instructions I found the answer ref where the wires go - It was at the top of the second sheet of paper that gave instructions on connecting to a BMW round pin (!?).
I've now wired it up and will try it out this weekend - By the way, the dongle has a small LED in the centre.

In the sellers defence, checking his other items I dont think he makes a living out of selling these cables so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this - Although agree that the description should have had more detail on the product itself.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks guys
Old 08-18-2005, 05:05 AM
Fear the Miata!

Default why be a cmf?.....

<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com">buy the REAL thing</a></li></ul>
Old 08-19-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Cable works fine :)

Found time today to try out the cable with the latest VAG-COM software and it appears to work fine.
I managed to check for any stored error codes etc (None found) as I hade a problem with starting the other week.

All in all inc delivery the cable cost me £20 so I'm pretty happy.