A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Value of '02 A6 S-Line?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as I said, I'm pretty into working on high tech design engines, etc. Although I haven't ACTUALLY worked on any Audis as of yet, from photos, videos, and diagrams, etc. Audis will be right up my alley. I plan to have a dealer inspect and scan everything before I shell out, which I would do even if I was a guru. The lack of cats is OK, Kansas has no emissions testing. Timing belt kit, water pump, and trans service were just done 2000mi ago @ 114k, and was all preventive rather than from a failure.

My main concerns are 1) what boost should be on stock turbos? Does 9psi sound reasonably safe? 2) what kind of life span should *well cared for* turbos have in these cars? 3) What the hell does 'a tune' entail and how much $$? The more I read into all the scans and flashes, the more I get confused. I'll sort it all out eventually but I need to get a decent car fairly quick (unfortunately). Damn I hate being in a position like that.

The other A6 Sports I've looked at within a fair proximity, all stock, seem more thrashed than this one. Higher mileage, more $$, and more "lived in" and I'm less reassured by "the check engine light is on, but I don't know why... and it shifts kinda rough, but the tranny works just fine!" which I was told RE an '03 just like this one. So, IDK... He did tell me about the little craps like cam plugs, etc. I've read up a little here and at AZ and don't feel like that stuff will be an issue.

The hood, the will have to be replaced with one with stock paint, racing stripes kinda kill the 'sleeper effect'.
The headlights... I was under the impression that they were a swap over with stock R8 OEM headlights, would that be NOT a possibility? I wasn't sure if there was a swappable option or not.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, this is really a great community.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R8 stock headlights? Lol

May I suggest that you google pictures of R8?

Moreover, if you are a pro at high-tech engines, you've got nothing to worry about.

Turbos can fail at 200K or at 100K. Does that answer your question?

Bottom line, there is no knowing.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BrainStorm
Well as I said, I'm pretty into working on high tech design engines, etc. Although I haven't ACTUALLY worked on any Audis as of yet, from photos, videos, and diagrams, etc. Audis will be right up my alley. I plan to have a dealer inspect and scan everything before I shell out, which I would do even if I was a guru. The lack of cats is OK, Kansas has no emissions testing. Timing belt kit, water pump, and trans service were just done 2000mi ago @ 114k, and was all preventive rather than from a failure.

My main concerns are 1) what boost should be on stock turbos? Does 9psi sound reasonably safe? 2) what kind of life span should *well cared for* turbos have in these cars? 3) What the hell does 'a tune' entail and how much $$? The more I read into all the scans and flashes, the more I get confused. I'll sort it all out eventually but I need to get a decent car fairly quick (unfortunately). Damn I hate being in a position like that.

The other A6 Sports I've looked at within a fair proximity, all stock, seem more thrashed than this one. Higher mileage, more $$, and more "lived in" and I'm less reassured by "the check engine light is on, but I don't know why... and it shifts kinda rough, but the tranny works just fine!" which I was told RE an '03 just like this one. So, IDK... He did tell me about the little craps like cam plugs, etc. I've read up a little here and at AZ and don't feel like that stuff will be an issue.

The hood, the will have to be replaced with one with stock paint, racing stripes kinda kill the 'sleeper effect'.
The headlights... I was under the impression that they were a swap over with stock R8 OEM headlights, would that be NOT a possibility? I wasn't sure if there was a swappable option or not.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, this is really a great community.
seriously with the amount of work your going to put into it to change it, i would pass. its not that great of a deal
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's an 01 2.7 for sale on my local Craigslist.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/2945593557.html
Old 04-13-2012, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A6R1
Here's an 01 2.7 for sale on my local Craigslist.
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/2945593557.html
Very nice example but, I think the guy three doors down has one just like it.

I am set on a sport package car as I have a thing for the rarer when it comes to cars, bikes, etc. I likes dem badges! Google my baby, 'yamaha GTS 1000a'; stuff like that is my bag. Except with my GTS I was looking for 3.5 years before I purchased and I need a car SOON. I was looking at S4s at first, but the rear legroom is not practical enough for me at this point in life. (single father) An S6 would be the SH*T, but more than I can scrape up right now for sure.

Sport package = S-Line... correct? I know it's not an S4/S6.

"seriously with the amount of work your going to put into it to change it, i would pass. its not that great of a deal"
I probably won't be changing much. Hopefully he still has the stock headlights and pre-cats/downpipes, and I can find a hood down the road sometime or repaint it. I'm gonna make it mine over time whether it's almost riced-out or a stocker anyway. I just don't want to buy a time-bomb.
I also don't plan to just cough up asking price. I haggle pretty aggressively and with this guy, I may have some parts to swap in for the 442 he's wanting to get, which is why he's selling the A6 in the first place. Honestly, I don't plan to pay more than–hope he's not reading this–mid $4k+ parts to lower $5k range cash only.
So, I Googled R8 headlight *upgrade* and found the kits... nasty... I see what you're all getting at, and I agree. The pics he sent of this car are small and aren't very good.

Bottom line, I won't know if it's go/no go until I go see it. Plan to look at a couple cars on the same day if possible.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

The pics he sent of this car are small and aren't very good.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sorry but that car SCREAMS issues, and have you looked up the vin to make sure it is an official "S-line"? its easy to buy the parts.

also, if you want rare, get the RS6
Old 04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Been out on tornado duty, and not done yet.... cars have to wait a bit. Sorry Travis, I'm not out yet just delayed for a while.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sport package = S-Line... correct? I know it's not an S4/S6.
No. S-line is really an appearance package. Other than the extra 15HP from ECU tuning from the factory, it added badges, a trunk spoiler, and wheels re-cycled from other platform cars (9-spoke 18" wheels from the B6 A4 "Ultrasport" package, and 17" versions fromthe B5 A4 "Celebration").

The true "sport package" adds sport seats, and in years prior to 2003 it also added a beefier sway bar and sport shocks/springs (the suspension stuff was added to the base models in 2003 and later).