A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Valve Cover recommendations please....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover recommendations please....

I know this is subject to a million different opinions but I am having my valve cover gaskets replaced (2.8L) to stop the bleeding! I always buy my own parts and just give them to my mechanic. I don't care how much the gaskets cost as long as they keep the oil off my driveway. Can you guys, that have experience with this job, give me your opinion on what brand gaskets to buy?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

No cam adjuster seals? Why bother?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
No cam adjuster seals? Why bother?
I learned this the hard $250 way.

The whole job for cam adjuster seals, valve covers with labor and parts should cost 7-800. It's really a waste of money to just change the valve cover gaskets.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took the car to my guy yesterday and we spoke about it for an hour or so. I mentioned the cam seals several times. Perhaps (and likely) I was not understanding what he was telling me but he pulled some old cam adjusters and showed my what fails. He said its a miserable job that included retiming the cams, etc. Obviously, he will do whatever I ask him to. I always ask him to fix whatever he would fix if it was his car. That being said, was I misunderstanding something? Are the cam seals an easy fix while you are in there? He is also changing the TB/WP.

Thanks for the great info guys. I really appreciate it since this is my first Audi.

Keep it coming!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Guru

Cam seals are different than cam adjuster seals. I wouldn't describe either as a miserable job, but I guess that's just a preference.

Cam adjuster seals fail when the half moon seal shrinks, allowing a fairly massive leak. They are a much more common failure than VCGs. In fact, many healthy VCGs are mistakenly replaced when trying to fix a cam adjuster seal leak.

All the cam related seals should be done with the timing belt service. If you do this, you should never have any upper engine leaks. How soon is your belt due?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am buying the TB/WP as we speak. I am taking it in to have it done as soon as the parts come in. I bought the car used and would rather have the piece of mind that it's good for another 100K than have to worry and wonder if it was done. The car leaks pretty good. The last owner clearly tried to change the VCG and did a real sloppy job.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sabresfan
I took the car to my guy yesterday and we spoke about it for an hour or so. I mentioned the cam seals several times. Perhaps (and likely) I was not understanding what he was telling me but he pulled some old cam adjusters and showed my what fails. He said its a miserable job that included retiming the cams, etc. Obviously, he will do whatever I ask him to. I always ask him to fix whatever he would fix if it was his car. That being said, was I misunderstanding something? Are the cam seals an easy fix while you are in there? He is also changing the TB/WP.

Thanks for the great info guys. I really appreciate it since this is my first Audi.

Keep it coming!
Retiming? Why? You dont need to take the cams out, that's more un-needed work
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Guru

Don't do it in stages. Do it all at once.

Belt
Pump
idler
tensioner wheel
Tensioner levler
tensioner
t-stat
cam seals (4)
cam adjuster seals (2)
cam plugs (2)
VCG

What did I miss, guys?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am buying the TB/WP as we speak. I am taking it in to have it done as soon as the parts come in.
You would be mad to do the timing belt/water pump and not do cam adjuster seals and cam seals/plugs at the same time since they can only be replaced while the timing belt is off. That said, it does add a lot of extra work to the job. I wouldn't call it "miserable" either..if you've done it before it should be easy enough.

Can you guys, that have experience with this job, give me your opinion on what brand gaskets to buy?
I have used cheap $20 valve cover gaskets...I think the brand was Reinz or something like that. The Audi dealership wants $70 per side. I do not know if there is a difference in quality, but you can replace the vcg in an hour - you don't have to remove anything other than the valve cover, so there is not much point in speculating imo, considering the difference in price.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Don't do it in stages. Do it all at once.

Belt
Pump
idler
tensioner wheel
Tensioner levler
tensioner
t-stat
cam seals (4)
cam adjuster seals (2)
cam plugs (2)
VCG

What did I miss, guys?
The cam adjuster metal gaskets (2)

Also 4driver4, do you do the crank seal? I know the Blauparts instructions caution that it's very easy to damage the toothed pulley if you remove it. I skipped the crank seal for this reason even though I had a replacement in the kit. It didn't appear to be leaking anyway.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover recommendations please....