A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Various Short to Ground codes & under 3k rpm chatter

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Various Short to Ground codes & under 3k rpm chatter

Hey guys, I've done a search on this topic and came up with various answers, but nothing much confirmed at least for my make and model. Hoping someone may have had a similar instance and can offer some helpful advice, apologizing in advance if I've missed the answer elsewhere here.

I've been dealing with these issues the last week or so. Recently my 2000 A6 2.7T 6SPD has been running like crap and had the check engine light on. It run particularly crappy between 2-3,000 rpms. I notice if I stay above 3,000 the problem "Appears" to be better. However, there is still no acceleration like it used to. I "hear" the turbos when i am driving through neighborhoods and the sound bounces off the houses and such. However it's as if they don't pull at all, that combined with a hesitant or sputtering feel for anything under 3,000rpms....sure makes it a crappy drive for what used to be a very enjoyable drive.

I should also mention that I have 210k on the car. Timing belt was done at 180k. Trans could use a rebuild (typical 1-2, and 2-3 collar issues-has been like that for the last 15k I'm used to it now), but the clutch is solid and doesn't rev higher or slip at all, just chatters and shutters under 3,000k. I've tested all the o2 sensors at their harness with a multimeter all were under 20k Ohms(I've read that if they're under 20 they're good?) (14, 15, 16 and 11(?)), removed and cleaned the hell out of the throttle body and mass air flow sensor with alcohol and appropriate cleaners for each, reset the computer. It improved it a bit, but the CEL came back on so I broke down and bought a scanner and here are the code....

P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ Low Input
P0134 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank1-Sensor1 No Activity Detected
P1115 - O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank1-Sensor1 Short to Ground
P1117 - O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank1-Sensor2 Short to Ground
P1119 - O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank2-Sensor1 Short to Ground
P1121 - O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank2-Sensor2 Short to Ground
P1140 - Bank2-Sensor2 Internal Resistance too High
P1425 - Tank Vent.Valve Short to Ground
P1530 - Camshaft Control Circuit Short to ground

I'm guessing all these "Short to Ground" issues could have something to do with the common ground, seems to make sense in my eyes. So my next step is to check under the battery tray (so I have read). Then possibly the Crankshaft sensor? I've been told that if the sensor isn't entirely broken that could affect the chattering that I'm feeling under 3k. This info came from someone not Audi familiar, but it seems to make sense to me at least a little.

Would anyone else have any helpful suggestions as to what may be causing these codes or chattering?

Thanks again to everyone.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so i removed the battery/tray and disconnecting reconnecting and cleaning the ground connection and everything up in that area, as well as unplugging and replugging and spray connector cleaner on the ecu's connections...everything seemed clean before hand but just to be sure i did again.

Started the car up, no CEL yet - however! I connected the scanner and it showed just one code immediately

Which was the P1425 - Tank vent valve short to ground.

Idle is still very rough.

Additionally, before I did this cleaning and disconnecting, etc....I scanned and one new code showed.

P1472 - EVAP Emission Contr.LDP Circ Short to Ground

I'm not really sure where to go from here? Anyone?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like your problem is wiring. Trace the whole engine wiring harness (or whole harness if there are other trouble codes besides engine related ones) and see if a grommet is worn through and 5 or 6 wires are touching the sheet metal body (ground). Did you scan with vag com or just an obd 2 scanner?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
Sounds like your problem is wiring. Trace the whole engine wiring harness (or whole harness if there are other trouble codes besides engine related ones) and see if a grommet is worn through and 5 or 6 wires are touching the sheet metal body (ground). Did you scan with vag com or just an obd 2 scanner?
I used a obd2 scanner I bought from harbor freight. Tonight after work I will be getting behind the dash tonight to look in there. Everything by the ecu and harness there appeared to be normal. I removed and reinstalled the entire plastic box that houses the ecu to see better. Thanks for your response.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

btw, redneck truck...how's that 4.2 a6 driving along since you changed to a 6speed trans? that's really awesome. I would love to have the time and dedication to reap the benefits there.