A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

W8 Passat launch at VWvortex

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 03:04 PM
RSC
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W8 Passat launch at VWvortex

<ul><li><a href="http://www.vwvortex.com/">http://www.vwvortex.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-26-2001, 04:30 PM
Elder Member

Default boneheads

First, that thing is going to be REALLY expensive.

Bi-Xenons? No Audi has bi-xenons, not even the S8. But VW has them.

The interior is still somewhat chintzy also.

On the other hand, they do have an available 8-cylinder with 6-speed stick.

I'm torn between saying this thing is going to cannibalize Audi sales and wondering who would pay almost $40K for a car which is barely different externally from a $25K low-end Passat.
Old 03-26-2001, 04:32 PM

Default I say again ...

this will hurt Audi, but since the money will stay in the VW/Audi family Piech won't care.

However, after reading vwvortex for a while, I'm starting to have concerns about Passat build quality.
Old 03-26-2001, 04:36 PM

Default Americans love horsepower

Even as gas prices increase, the appeal of a V8 continues. That will be a strong selling point, but the price point and image issues clash with the VW image in the US. I sure hope this doesn't turn into the type of marketing debacle that becomes a case study at Harvard Business School.
Old 03-26-2001, 05:14 PM

Default VW Group's vision

I've read that VW will provide a line of cars from the small city cars to $125,000 luxury boats. BMW did the same thing in the 1970's. VW is taking on Mercedes. Audi's place will be a SPORT luxury division. We will always get the higher performance goodies and a racing program to match. Go for it VW.
Old 03-26-2001, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cross shopping ? As you said, interior looks very Japanese/American

Not bad, just a different target audience. As the current Audi customer leaves behind their lower to mid-price roots ( many first time buyers of a car in this price range and class ), Audi will be free to explore more adventurous markets while VW takes care of more conventional expectations.

I can see VW heading for the sporty side of Mercedes very clearly now. BMW is stagnating a little. Hope Audi will leapfrog BMW with more innovative concepts like the Steppenwolf.

Who knows what configurations VWoA will bring for us. If there is something that you would like to see ( be realistic - W8 for 25K not it - stay within Euro available options ), drop off a letter with VWoA or your local dealer. Address it to your Area Executive. Same goes for for Audi options and versions.

There is an AE for both brands. I have sent many requests to my AE for a V8 Avant on behalf of clients. Perhaps this helped make the decision to bring the S6 in its Avant form.

The Area Executive decides if there is enough volume potential for different cars and options and then asks the dealers if they think they can sell those versions. The AE gets togather with other AEs in N.A. and they decide what they will order from Europe. Remember that volume orders lower the price and this must balance with market demand.

Would you pay 55K for one of 200 6spd, non-multiplexed, narrower bodied ( than A6 ) AWD Passat that has bi-zenon but no sport suspension ? Especially when the non-zenon, AWD Tip goes for 42K ? They want cars to sell quickly, not litter the lot with the image that expensive VWs can't sell. Lowers perceived value.

Audi has far greater scope to bring limited numbers of high end cars to N.A. It is the N.A. boutique brand for VAG ( yeah, Bugatti and Lambo too ).
Old 03-26-2001, 06:56 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well I paid almost $40k for an S4 that's barely different externally from a $25k low-end A4 1.8T

...remember that the A4 and Passat are the two nicest $25,000 cars on the market...
Old 03-26-2001, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default W8 = VW's Edsel

I read the US price for the W8 Passat will be over $40K. For under $25K the Passat is nice mid-range car, but what knucklehead thinks VW shoppers will pop an extra $15K for what amounts to an engine package. I can think of no marque that has successfully moved from the economy/midrange market to luxury, on the same platform no less! Even Toyota knew better and created Lexus. Has Herr Piesch (sp?) read a paper lately? OPEC is cutting production, gas in the US will be $3/gallon by the 4th of July. Honda and Toyota are focused on ultra high mileage/low emissions and VW brings out a mid-size gas hog with mediocre performance. VW must have rehired the same genius that unleashed the 411 on the world. BMW and Honda must be ROTFLTAO. One more thing...have you dealt with VW service lately? Horrible! VW has a long way to go to catch up with Acura before they can set their sights on M/B.
Old 03-26-2001, 09:08 PM

Default W8 engine so revolutionary?

First, I don't think the 'facelift' is all that nice... the back lights look damn ugly.

As for the W8, it confuses me. Where's the W? It's a freaking V8, ok? I recall reading a while back about a true NINE cylinder W engine with THREE banks of three cylinders all on one crankshaft. That's what I THOUGHT the W8 was but was confused how you divide 8 by 3 (maybe two outer banks of 6 cyl, and a middle bank of two?).

I have to wonder just how long we'll go with piston engines altogether. I recall a nifty gas turbine system also incorporating batteries AND a flywheel in the trunk. Runs very clean to power electric drive motors, and if you stomp on it, it draws an extra 60 or so HP from the 65,000 rpm flywheel that's the size of a microwave. Damn cool! A (former?) Compaq executive is spearheading the development, and a Benz was converted to use the powertrain.
Old 03-26-2001, 09:30 PM
Elder Member

Default don't get confused here, its NOT a V8

V8 implies all kinds of smoothness and such. The W8 is sufficiently differerent that none of that is guaranteed.

Quick Reply: W8 Passat launch at VWvortex