A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Warnign against D & S Auto Body in the Chicago area

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warnign against D & S Auto Body in the Chicago area

This is a warning against using D&S Auto Body & Restoration, Inc. in Addison, IL (Chicago area)

I just received back my S6, after it spent 9 weeks with them. The car was in a wreck, and repair costs were estimated at $4700, of which $500 was a deductible. I asked them to do some additional work that added up to $630.

The first week I called, I was told it would be ready in two days. Every week after that, I have been told it was almost done, and would be ready early next week. They never ONCE called and told me that they had run into problems. The owner, Dan Kolar, promised me countless times that he would call me back the following day. It NEVER happened. The excuse for the car not being ready was always that they were waiting for parts. They have not yet filed any supplements with the Insurance Company.

The offered to deliver the car, and showed up presenting me the full price. When I complained we got the owner on the phone, and the offered to reduce the price by $200. After a nasty conversation with the owner (involving threats with lawyers, police etc.), I eventually paid $900, i.e. they reduced the price by $230, or 4%.

I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and will be checking if they actually file for supplements with the Insurance Company.

The actual bodywork looks fine. Draw your own conclusions.

Henrik Danford-Klein
Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HenrikDK
This is a warning against using D&S Auto Body & Restoration, Inc. in Addison, IL (Chicago area)

I just received back my S6, after it spent 9 weeks with them. The car was in a wreck, and repair costs were estimated at $4700, of which $500 was a deductible. I asked them to do some additional work that added up to $630.

The first week I called, I was told it would be ready in two days. Every week after that, I have been told it was almost done, and would be ready early next week. They never ONCE called and told me that they had run into problems. The owner, Dan Kolar, promised me countless times that he would call me back the following day. It NEVER happened. The excuse for the car not being ready was always that they were waiting for parts. They have not yet filed any supplements with the Insurance Company.

The offered to deliver the car, and showed up presenting me the full price. When I complained we got the owner on the phone, and the offered to reduce the price by $200. After a nasty conversation with the owner (involving threats with lawyers, police etc.), I eventually paid $900, i.e. they reduced the price by $230, or 4%.

I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and will be checking if they actually file for supplements with the Insurance Company.

The actual bodywork looks fine. Draw your own conclusions.

Henrik Danford-Klein
i know this post (or rather, 'rant') is ancient...but i just happened upon it and would be remiss if i didn't "draw up my own conclusion" at the request of this disgruntled person. that conclusion would be...i think there was a lack of communication somewhere along the line, b/c being a loyal and very pleased customer of D & S since 2003, i can assure you it was either on the part of this customer (whom, if you can't tell, seems to be a wee bit irrational) or his ins co. perhaps he did not fully understand the situation and the time involved in repair work in his car's particular condition. body repairs (especially if you are expecting A+ work) take time, and judging by the repair cost, i'm guessing the damage had to have been pretty substantial. there IS such a thing as running into unforeseen problems once you get into the repair of a 'wreck'! hmm...that's why it's called an 'estimate'...they don't have the ability to see inside the car until it's worked on...no one's THAT good...if they were, they'd have to be working with a special auto repair crystal ball to me, it sounds like someone was being a little unreasonable & impatient in regards to repair time, and possible problems that incurred along the way. and keep in mind that perhaps the miscommunication was also on their insurance company's part, since ALL auto ins companies love to prolong the paperwork process and make things as difficult as possible for us, and for the body shop's. either way, if this individual got their car back, and the craftsmanship was fine...why involve the BBB? nothing better to do during his day? on what grounds would one file a complaint under in this particular situation? sounds like a waste of time...on everyone's part. i have had Dan repair many of my vehicle's, as well as personal referrals...and i haven't had or heard of one issue yet. nothing but good things, such as Dan actually going OUT of his way to make people happy...or i wouldn't carry around their business cards in my wallet. i would not trust anyone else with MY car- period - and just feel as though this so-called D & S 'warning' was totally unwarranted and RUDE. ok, now i'm done with MY rant...thanks for reading
Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

wow 10 years, may be a record!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree. Doing 5K worth of work in two days would be exceptional...you can't do a great $5K paint job in two days.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the signatures or list of cars (garage?) always update even on old posts? This guy had an 01 which was sold and an 03 when he wrote this in 00? I am guessing things update even on old posts? Just something goofy I noticed.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I think your question kind of answers itself (how could he have had an 03 in 2000?). Your signature does update even on old posts.

Any time a post is displayed with your signature, the forum software grabs your current signature at the time the post is being displayed, not as of when your post was written.