A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Water ingress quandary

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Water ingress quandary

For the past two days, the rain has come down pretty hard. Last night (the second day of it), I had standing water in my driver's side floor, and the left rear corner of the headliner was wet.

After the first day, I replaced the ECU box gasket and sealed up the wire grommet and clutch hose grommet in the firewall, thinking the water must have been coming from that (and being partially correct). However, after the second day, the left rear carpet must have been under an inch of water.

We checked the function of all the sunroof drains and they all seem to be working just fine. Dropped the headliner just a hair, noting that the hose, however easy to remove, was still attached to the LR drain on the sunroof box.

Apart from sunroof drains and the firewall, both of which seem fine, I can't fathom where the water could be coming from. Does anyone have any insight?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guessing

Did you drive the car in between? Did you pull up the carpet and dry out the water in the drivers side footwell? When I had water come in through the cabin filter on the passenger side, I thought I had it all dried up. Then I drove the car around the block, including up a hill, and a bunch of water from the front ended up pouring into the back, moving the puddle from one spot to another. Good luck!

John
Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine came in through the drains under the battery.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought mine came in the firewall, except for the wet headliner. Seems like either a weatherstrip leak or a sunroof is to blame for this one. Ready to weld that piece of crap up right about now.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What do you mean, through the drains under the battery? I thought the drains under the battery poured right down on the transmission. Are you sure it didn't come in because the drain under the battery was clogged and the water pooled up in there?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry thats what I ment. I had standing water both sides, front and rear. It ruined my Central Locking Module. Cleaned them out, 2 years later, still no water

Last edited by joshe8695@yahoo.com; 09-09-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the hose was easy to remove, that is probably why it is leaking. Poor design IMHO with no o-ring or anything to lock the tube in place and make a tight seal. You'll probably need to figure out a way to seal that connection better...maybe some silicone?

This might be a good reason to pull the whole headliner out, and really check all the connections of those sunroof drains. Process here in this tech article: https://www.audiworld.com/tech/int67.shtml
Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

On my Golf, it was just a matter of wrapping zip ties around the connections to clamp them on. My thing is, could it be that the drains just couldn't flow enough water and the channels backed up and overflowed? Or is there likely something wrong?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

What's the condition of the moonroof's exterior perimeter seal?

With time some cars will experience seal shrinkage leaving a gap at the middle rear of the moonroof glass that can allow more than just a trickle of water down into the sunroof drains when it rains hard.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's highly likely, as this was certainly at very least a trickle. I'll check when I have the headliner down this weekend - whether or not the sunroof is leaking, I'd like to ensure the drains are secure. What is a good solution to a shrunk seal? Is it a part I can just buy, or can I make it out of tacky foam or silicone or something?

Quick Reply: Water ingress quandary