A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Wax suggestions for Dolphin Gray? Have always used Zymol

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax suggestions for Dolphin Gray? Have always used Zymol

but the Dolphin Gray is quite a unique color and want to get the best out of it.

Thanks and Happy Easter,

Bob
'04 A6 S Line
Dolphin Gray/Platinum
Old 04-09-2004, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zymol, Klasse, One Grand Blitz. All work well on dark grey.

High carnuba content gives excellent short term shine, but needs refreshing often.

Klasse and German car paint seem to interact quite well. Sonax is good too.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why change brands? Zymol is some good stuff which explains why...

it's kinda pricey. I have it (although I haven't used it in a couple of months...mostly out of laziness) and I find that if you have a buffer, it'll be way more effective than waxing by hand (which gets pretty tiring). That reminds me, I should get the buffer out of the closet in the garage and use it this weekend.

Happy Easter to you, too.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:17 AM

Default zymol - is really horrible stuff I have heard - noithing like the old formula

I wouold check out the detailing formula. I am a HUGE beliver in Blitz wax, and a p21 prodcut called Gloss enhancing Paint conditioner as a "pre-wax"
Old 04-09-2004, 08:19 AM

Klasse All In One follwed by Rejex would be my recommendation. Works great on my Volcano Black.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Hey Sarge, how do you like the Rejex? I've been thinking...

...about using polish, followed by a couple of coats of Glaze, and then applying the Rejex. Would you go with a coat of wax first--or is that redunant with the Rejex?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You have to differentiate between the Zyrtle you can find in dept stores,

and the real stuff which costs much more, and works much better. It is a royal pain to remove though, and works best when humidity is low.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:55 AM

Default I use the Klasse AIO to get the finish perfect and swirl/scratch free.

Then I use the Rejex.

The Rejex has no 'polish' and will not hide any scratches or swirls at all. However, it is the wettest, deepest most reflective shine, with the greatest durability, of anything I've tried. Beats Blitz shine hands down on my car.

Klasse AIO does a very nice job of mending minor scratches, oxidation and haze without using any abrasives, and leaves the finish perfect for the Rejex application.

To each his own, but the Rejex is my favorite for now. It's also very nice b/c you can use it on EVERY surface and it will not chalk (well, not for tires, etc) but it (and K AIO) are very forgiving around rubber trim, etc, and both will also work on the ar matte trim parts, as well as glass, headlights, taillights, etc etc.

Essentially, just do whatever you must to get the scratches and haze out of your finish - one or two coats of AIO and/or Meguiars Body Scrub should suffice (do Meguiars with a high speed buffer, then follow with Klasse AIO using a random orbital, then apply Rejex by hand or w/ random orbital) and once the finish is perfect enough for your taste, use the Rejex.

Just know that the Rejex makes a phenomenal shine, but doesn't hide imperfections.

I wouldn't apply any wax or glaze before the Rejex, those are 'substitute' products, not 'complement' products.

Good luck, let us know how it goes and what you think of it!
Old 04-09-2004, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Absolutely correct on all points - (non-Wal_Mart) Zymol is a superior

product. I have found few waxes in the same price range that compare to the finish Zymol provides. But it will wear your *** out buffing it off. The key is to not let it dry - 10 to 20 secs and wipe off.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:13 AM

Default LOL - so it only works well in SoCal???

really - blitz is so easy to pit on, and take off, I don;t see how there can be much better as far as carnubu based stuff. I get about 2-3 months from 2 coats (24 hours apart)

Quick Reply: Wax suggestions for Dolphin Gray? Have always used Zymol