A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Wax suggestions for Dolphin Gray? Have always used Zymol

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto. Lots of work up front, easy to renew, lasts forever, and looks great.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was no excuse for the dealer in your case.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Takes more than just wax....

Clay on occassion to remove pollutants that accumulate (you can feel the little bumps)leaves the paint smooth

Polish for gloss

Wax to protect and deepen the gloss

Detail Spray used to remove wax and bring up super gloss.

Use the right towels.

I like Klasse products a lot but more recently I have been usings Adams Polish products. EXCELLENT, small company, complete product line and you can always email the owner and he is very responsive. http://www.adamspolishes.com/
Old 04-09-2004, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Interesting site. I'll have to check it out.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: There was no excuse for the dealer in your case.

yep, you are right...it took hours and hours of hard work to get it looking good. I wanted to just cry when I saw all the marks. And it wasn't because it was a high end car...all cars, regardless of their price should be handled with care.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:08 AM

Default If you haven't tried Klasse All In One you should. Then apply wax over that,

I've found Rejex to be superior to anything else I've tried so far, which includes about everything except Zaino. It is easy to apply, takes very little to cover, and is easy to remove. Minimal to no smearing/streaking and will not chalk on rubber.

But Klasse AIO is the bomb (their Glaze is 'meh'). I've been using AIO and trying it against other things for 15 years. Haven't seen anything more effective, harmless or more versatile, and it has no abrasives, purely chemical.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:55 AM

Have you tried Klasse AIO?
Old 04-10-2004, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I agree with you there.

When doing dealer trades, I would drive the car as if it were my own during break-in.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Not the AIO. The Sealant glaze, yes. Do you really like it?

When I used to detail cars, some of my clients would want me to use their own products (I did a lot of old British and German cars). The British paint is usually incredibly porous, and the German paint can react very oddly with products containing silicone. Very specialized and not much is applicable to newer finishes.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:42 PM

Default I've used AIO on all kinds of finishes ->

I ran a detail business from age 13 through high school, which was the mid 80's to '91, and have tried many many different products over the last 18 years on cars ranging from '60's MB's to Jags to Chevys, Fords and Oldsmobiles, not to mention Audis, as well as several fibreglass boats (Boston Whalers). Also note this includes my Tornado Red 91 200q 20v, which had straight paint, no clearcoat.

Klasse AIO has done nothing but wonders to all of those surfaces. However, by comparison, I was totally unimpressed with their Glaze/Sealant product. The only thing that is similar (yet still different) to AIO is Meguiar's Body Scrub (also nonabrasive).

AIO will generally clean and rejuvinate the finish and cover/blend fine scratches in paint, clearcoat, plexiglass, plastic windows (even flexible plastic windows ie boats and convertibles).

For more damaged surfaces you can use it with a high speed buffer, but I use it regularly as a maintenance product either by hand or w/ the Porter Cable random orbital machine (harmless machine).

Typically, once I get a car's finish in good shape (ie buying a used car, rubbing compound, wet sanding as needed) I'll thereafter do a quick clay, primarily of horizontal surfaces, followed by Klasse AIO with the Porter Cable, sometimes one more coat by hand depending on what damage I've done recently, and then the Rejex.

I've been using my remaining Blitz on my wife's white E430 and the Rejex on my car for tha past 6 months, and hands down the Rejex leaves a nicer finish over time and washes better - and my wife's car has hardly left the garage over that time.

Clay (Meguiar's Professional line only), AIO, Rejex. All three are easy to use, virtually foolproof, and produce better results than anything I've seen.

If you try the Rejex, I guarantee you will use it on your wheels, if not I'll over - If I go a week w/o washing, then drive in the rain at the end of that week, my wheels come out cleaner after the rain b/c of the Rejex. You still have to use a mitt on them to get them clean, but the Rejex really does seem to do a very good job of preventing anything from sticking to the surface.

The only downside is it is somewhat staticky - dust attracts a bit easily - but you can rinse it off w/o soap, just the hose, when you need to, if it's just dust.

The AIO is such a versatile product, good for sooo many things (ie showers, baths, sinks, plexiglass, etc) you'll use it on a lot more than just your car.

It really is a must have product IMO, but that's obvious by now :-)

Quick Reply: Wax suggestions for Dolphin Gray? Have always used Zymol