A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Weird shifting: A6 4.2 Tip

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2000, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird shifting: A6 4.2 Tip

The shifting of the tiptronic on my new A6 4.2 is strange. It seems to slide from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. THe dealer claims that it is the torque converter lockout, which is partially, then fully engaging under light throttle conditions. He claims it is the way all 4.2s are programmed and nothing can be done about it.

I'm suspect, because other cars A6s I've driven didn't seem to do this (they were all 2.7Ts however). ALso, it only occurs from 2nd to 3rd.

I find it very annoying, and wonder if others have the same experience.

Bryce<p>Bryce
Old 05-12-2000, 11:02 AM

Default Mine only auto shifts up from 1-2 except at redline...

where it automatically upshifts regardless of the selection. Your situation seems odd.
Old 05-12-2000, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Mine only auto shifts up from 1-2 except at redline...

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. It's in Auto mode that the shift is sloppy. In tip mode,it selects the gear you choose, but you can feel the torque converter lockout slowly engaging as speed rises in any gear (mostly noticable in 2nd gear in tip mode).

It's hard to describe, but generally the gear changes are not as crisp as I think they should be.<p>Bryce
Old 05-12-2000, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Weird shifting: A6 4.2 Tip

Two thoughts: First, the Tiptronic has a couple of hundred different shift "programs." If you're driving around gently, shifts will be early and "gradual" (see below). If you're more aggressive, they'll be later and more crisp.

Second, the electronic engine controls will retard the timing a bit and/or close the throttle somewhat and/or maybe some other things to smooth the shift. Your "slide" shifting may be due to these actions. It feels like the engine power is being reduced just before, and during, the shift (which is in fact what's happening).

Why 2nd-to-3rd only? Maybe because at higher speeds and higher gears, you're typically not on the throttle as hard. A reduction in engine power is less noticeable if it's putting out relatively little to begin with. In 2nd, however, you're typically on the gas harder than at higher speeds and any reduction will be more noticeable.

That's my theory, anyway. My guess is that your trans behavior is normal. Try experimenting with harder or softer acceleration and see if the shift behavior varies.

Finally, if the "slide" is REALLY pronounced, then maybe that's not normal and a trip to the dealer is in order. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2000, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Please clarify.

Do you mean that your 4.2 will auto shift from 1st to 2nd automatically regardless of engine speed?

Then only auto shift from 2nd - 5th at red line?

BTW: I happen to think the transmission on the 4.2
is smooth as silk across the board.
Old 05-12-2000, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should try PES's tip chip. See my posting above from 5/12.
Old 05-13-2000, 03:13 PM
JP4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Even when you are just using partial throttle in TIP mode?
Old 05-13-2000, 04:17 PM

Default Given your in tip mode, unless you floor it, the car bumps into 2nd...

automatically. That is, I can't get it to stay in 1st unless I'm to the floor with the gas pedal, otherwise it upshifts for you and there's a momentary lag. Maybe I'm missing something.

Conversely, the car can only be brought down from 2nd into 1st by flooring it, as well. I have never been able to use the tip shifter to bring the car from 2nd to 1st at partial throttle or no throttle. So at partial throttle or no throttle the car auto downshifts from 2nd to 1st when your actual car speed drops below 5mph it seems. Just like at a stop sign where you almost come to a complete stop or a dead stop given the traffic.

So the tip automatically takes over a few shift points I like. So the tip chip debate has merit! I don't mind the downshift lack of control as much as the upshift at partial throttle lack of control.

Does this help or have others noticed different?
Old 05-13-2000, 04:49 PM

Pedal to the metal only, unfortunately bro. :-(
Old 05-13-2000, 05:38 PM
JP4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same here...I just wanted to make sure we were talking apples to apples. ;-)

Quick Reply: Weird shifting: A6 4.2 Tip