A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What constitutes good service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK, that was an overstatement. But some marks clearly achieve a consistent...

... level of high service at their dealerships.

I'm trying to overcome the "excuse" that this is the dealers' fault, and the manufacturer can hide behind that excuse. No way. There's a reason why Saturn buyers are happier than Chevy buyers when it comes to service. Saturn does things differently. (Or maybe they just build better cars?)
Old 08-08-2002, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Forgive me if I have the wrong impression, but understanding their "box"

allows you to find loop-holes and all manner of means to exploit their system. That is why armies have spies, not just foot soldiers and big guns.

Simply expecting that the other party have the same priorities as you, without even asking, only sets you up for disappointment and mis-understanding all the way around. Yes, your happiness SHOULD be their priority, and if it isn't, your knowing why it isn't ,is ammo for you to use to correct it.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yes, but there can be huge pressure to lose certain problem people at the dealership.

In-elegibility for bonuses, allocation reduced, etc.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just stay clear about who mistreated you

I completely agree that there are both good and bad dealerships selling every brand, including Mercedes. However, in 20+ years of driving Mercedes I only had a couple of really "pissy" run-ins with service people. Of those two, one is no longer in business (now sells Pontiacs) and the other is a short walk from the Audi dealer in question. Could it be that these Cape Cod dealers don't care much about repeat business? It's the height of the summer season and the customers just keep coming through the door with their wallets open. It'll be a different crowd next year but it will still be a crowd.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Unless this dealership is the "only game in town"

Thanks. Do you really think I would have trouble if I went back to that dealer? What would they do? Screw up my car in some secret way that wouldn't show up for some months? Just curious what the ramifications might be?
Old 08-08-2002, 01:16 PM

Default I told you, never ever make blanket statements ever! :-)

You mean like Lexus? Hey, they can't all be good. I know from personal experience that all BMW shops are not good, nor are Mercedes.

Be careful about reputations - to a certain extent, they can be paid for and self-generated, and they only look backwards.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Unless this dealership is the "only game in town"

Unfortunatly this dealer is the closest to my home. It's about an hour's ride to this dealer and the next closest would be another hour away. However, I'll probably go back to the dealer where I purchased the car (the one that's two hours away)for service. They've treated me well and I've had no problems whatsoever there. It's not all that often that I have to make the trip so it's probably worth it in terms of the lower stress factor.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:36 PM

Default Saturn buyers are happier because ...

they have consciously chosen to buy a car that they don't have to dicker over. It's a self-selecting group that doesn't know cars, probably doesn't like them very much, and doesn't care that they aren't very good, just that since there is no need to negotiate the atmosphere in the showroom is so much nicer. Apparently the dirty little secret about Saturn is that it IS possible to negotiate, maybe not on the MSRP but to get them to toss in stuff for free or marked down, or cut interest rates, and certainly over trade-in values.

Do we know what Saturn service depts are like? They are probably no better or worse than other GM shops, since that's really all they are.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:49 PM

Default Oh give me a break--it's simply a matter of doing things right!

Enough of this touchy feely BS. Yes--know the problem, understand why the idiots screwed up, but stop it there and stop caring for them because they're idiots.

It doesn't mean being angry or mean--it simply means not letting people waste your time or money while they figure out why they are stupid. I prefer to move beyond the idiots that are slowing down the rotation of the earth and find someone who knows what they are doing.

Apologize and make excuses all you want, and enjoy those who also "care to understand the others thoughts". This is business--do it right or get the he!! out of the way.

You know April--if Audi employees all sit around and talk about how their system works, etc.--maybe that's the problem. Maybe they should just stop talking and mentally masturbating about the meaning of Audi and life and get back to work.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:59 PM

Oh my gosh--reduced bonus? Fire the freeking morons!

Quick Reply: What constitutes good service?