A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What to do with an A6 4.2 w/ContiSport tires in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with an A6 4.2 w/ContiSport tires in the snow?

Ben is being nice enough to let me borrow his (previously LMGotts') 2001 A6 4.2 for a weekend trip to Tahoe in January, the only thing I don't know about is how terribly the ContiSport tires that Audi uses perform in, well, non-sporty winter driving.

Snow tires are out of the question as Ben probably doesn't go to Tahoe often enough to buy them, and I'll only be using the car for this one trip. What about chains on Audis, more specifically, on AWD Audis such as the A6? Letting a little air out of the tires once in the snow?

If chains are what will be needed, where should I go to get them? Any thing else I should know? I reeeeeeeally don't want to do *anything* wrong - I may be a VW owner but I do keep very good care of my car and would like to extend the same respect to the Audi.

Thanks!
-Alden
Old 12-05-2002, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i drove around all day today with the stock conti's and had absolutely no problems...

even on a steep 45 degree incline....the car took off like it got hit by a mack truck....gotta love quattro
Old 12-05-2002, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not a good idea to drive in snow with any summer tires. That is all
Old 12-05-2002, 04:46 PM

Default Drove gingerly Monday a.m. through snowstorm to work with stock Dunlap 9000's....

Drove gingerly from work in the p.m. to have the Pilot Alpins put on. Emerged in the early evening with the proper shoes raring to go ;-)
Old 12-05-2002, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do NOT go to Tahoe if there is any risk of snow in that Audi without snows...

no way, no how...you might die...seriously, if it is snowing, it is dangerous...plus, it is illegal...depending on the road conditions, you must have snows and/or chains...they have people to check...

BUT...you cannot put chains on the 4.2...the only chain-like things are the "spiders" which cost almost as much as a set of snows.

A set of snows is a MUST if you drive to Tahoe...even once or twice per winter...they can then be sold when you are done (Ben).

I bought a set of Ronal R28s from a guy in Massachussetts with new Dunlop M2s on them...for $1000...I then traded the Ronals for Audi pie-plates and have the M2s on them...when I sell off the Audis I will sell the pie-plates...and probably get close to what I paid for the Ronals. Good deal for the peace-of-mind...

It takes me 20-30 minutes to change all my wheels...I then must clean the wheels so that is another 30 minutes...well worth the effort.

Seriously, unless Ben wants to have his car destroyed, don't go to Tahoe without snows...well, that's my recommendation at least.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:26 PM

Default Re: I think chains would be enough in Tahoe

My experience with summer tires (Michelins) in Tahoe is they are fine as long as the temperature is above 25 degrees, even if there is snow. Below that temp chains are required in snow. Be careful though, especially in the morning.

Tahoe gets lots of snow but during the day it is usually higher than 25 degrees. There are always exceptions though and chains should get through the week. I have lived in Truckee the last six Winters.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:33 PM

Default Ahhhh *snap* now what to do... hmm

Can't put chains on the Corrado because they won't fit and I have Pirelli P7000s on it which would probably be just as bad as the ContiSports; not to mention it's not the most comfortable for four people to pile in for a trip to Tahoe.

If someone had the spider-like chain devices they would let me borrow, would the CHP let the Audi pass by through R2 conditions (Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels)?

I guess I'll have to give the CHP a ring and see what they suggest, and also what the conditions are like the weekend of January 10th.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:46 PM

Default Oh hmm, wait... an A6 with quattro can do chains/spider thingies?

Hmm... I promise to drive super extra careful and slow if they're allowed :-\
Old 12-05-2002, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The spiders are "equivalent" to chains and they'd let you pass...

no problem...

But if he doesn't buy snows, it may be possible that I could loan you my snows...the only caveat to that is that it is possible I am going to Tahoe that weekend also...but I may be going to Detroit, or I may be working also...
I will know within 10 days though, so if you can wait that long, then e-mail me, I can tell you if I can do it...if you are in the Bay area west of Vacaville, I am along the way.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Maybe a Bay Area guy near you with extra wheels w/ snows...

could rent them to you for a weekend?????? Heck, you might even wrangle Pie Plates and M2s!

Whatever you do, Finman's advice is good. I lived my first 21 years in Tahoe City and cannot begin to tell you how much grief I saw people go through when caught unprepared in a snowstorm. A set of winter wheels and snows pay for themselves (and more) the very first accident you avoid.

Quick Reply: What to do with an A6 4.2 w/ContiSport tires in the snow?