A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What do you think about front end covers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about front end covers?

Do thye F up the paint underneith?
Old 07-12-2001, 08:36 AM

I wouldn't use one... only a clear bra.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:37 AM

Default NO bra! Go Stonegard or X-Pel.

I assume you mean a "bra". Used a cheap on one my Mustang, and a good one (Colgan) on my SHO - both screwed up the paint. Flap at high speed, get really dirty. Waste of money.

Stonegard or X-Pel the front - I did X-Pel myself on my new A6, and it's fantastic. Almost invisible, and great protection. Do the lights too. I bought extra material and cut sections for door handle area, front and rear rocker panels, and a strip across top of roofline at windshield. Do it.

Mike
Old 07-12-2001, 08:38 AM

What cup size?
Old 07-12-2001, 08:48 AM

Default Is this clear plastic?

How does it stick to the hood area?
Old 07-12-2001, 08:49 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Avoid them (IMHO)... Too '80s looking
Old 07-12-2001, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Never use a "bra"...awful, screw up paint, ugly...ClearBra is a personal choice...

There are drawbacks to both having and not having a clearbra-like protectant.
Clearbras are not miracles, they have defects. They have an orange-peel appearance when viewed at oblique angles especially on the hood. The edges can collect dust and grit below them if they are not perfectly seated (this can be fixed but is quite unsightly and can damage the paint in the meantime). Where the clearbra meets edges and particularly corners, it is difficult to get it perfect and the edge of the plastic can be seen. If you have a partial hood job, there is a visible line ~6 inches up on the hood, not noticeable to most, but noticeable to me (if its my car).
There may be some yellowing of some products over time, although most are guaranteed against that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The paint can be damaged on removal of the product, although it is not supposed to damage the paint, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
You don't wax the plastic. There is no opportunity to make the plastic shine like you can by polishing the paint and clear coat. Over time the plastic will be weathered as paint would, but at least with paint, polishes can be used to restore the shine and smooth surface of the paint...plastics cannot be "polished" like paint can.

Overall, it is personal choice. I chose against it, although I almost did it, but after seeing it in person, installed by the "best" professionals, the ClearBra guys in Utah, I didn't think the benefits were worth the compromises, although the owner of the car was generally "happy" with it, I detected a bit of disappointment. Others may think it is the best thing ever and their opinion is just as valid, it is great for them. You just need to decide if it is right for you. Go look at some clearbras.

Don't ever use a leather or vinyl bra---bad and freaking ugly.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:51 AM

Web Site: www.xpel.com
Old 07-12-2001, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default If you leave them on long enough to get dirt behind them they can micro-mar the finish-->

nothing that some simple Rain Dance couldn't get out. I got the clearbra because I didn't want to have to bother putting it on and taking it off when washing.
I've got one in almost new condition if you're interested. It was used about 5-6 times.. Still have the original box it came in. I've got the mirror covers to match as well..
Make me an offer, I'm very flexible..
Old 07-12-2001, 09:31 AM

water under the bra damages the finish as well

Quick Reply: What do you think about front end covers?