A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What the Efff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the Efff?

Ok so last friday afternoon my aux belt comes off a block away from the house. I was scared it was timing but some folks on here set me striaght that it was the aux belt. Noice.
So feeling confident i takes my nose apart to rethread this belt yesterday. Anyone that knows about this work knows it's a pain in the ****. All rollers that this belt is on are rolling smooth i.e alternator power steering etc. Put it back together the car runs fine with a little groan that a lil power steering fluid cleared up nicely. This morning about 1/4 mile away from work I get the heavy feeling in steering and my battery light starts flashing. the belt came off again.

why is this happening? I have a upper oil pan leak so the area down there is a little greasy could this attribute to the belt slippage?

Any help would be much appreciated as usual .
Old 06-27-2007, 05:44 AM
f3d
AudiWorld Uber User

Default tensioner?

how old is the belt? could be the grease, tensioner, or the belt itself if it got a bit worn down on something when it came off and is now uneven.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check tensioner, belt, then pulley alignment in that order. If tensioner is bad, it likely screwed

the belt. Grease would make it slip and squeal like a pig, but shouldn't make it jump the tracks so to speak. If the belt is stretched beyond allowable wear, then this could cause your problem. Finally, even if the pulleys are free moving, if one of them has somehow become misaligned, that will throw a belt in a heartbeat. Maybe one of the bolts holding something to the block or holding one of the pulleys is slightly loose, etc. Check the edge of the belt for any signs of wear - not the grooved part and not the flat "back" of the belt, but the "width" end to see if it has been rubbing on the lip of any pulleys.

It wouldn't take much misalignment to cause the belt to jump - so little that you likely wouldn't be able to see it with your naked eye.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's probably the tensioner..

Ok I partially took this thing apart and maybe it could be the tensioner roller. I pulled it toward me nothing, pushed it in and there was movement though minute. Fortunately beiner audi is 3 miles away so I'll splurge the $104 for a new one and hold my breath.

Thanks all I'll keep you updated.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:02 PM

Since you are already in there why don't you replace the belt in case it is stretched?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Agreed, it is most likely something out of allignment. It could be the alternator has......

moved away from the block at the back or the plate the tensioner is mounted on has worked loose.

I would fit a new belt and double check allignment of everything. Try installing it and run the engine at idle for a few seconds to see if you can see where it is beginning to move out of line.