A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What happens when you put an extra gallon of oil in 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens when you put an extra gallon of oil in 2.7t

Hey guys I could use your help with a few things.
so I've had a few c5 a6 2.7's now and I now will buy others if they are cheap enough just for parts or to fix. Now I just bought a 2004 A6 2.7t S-line for 400$ The woman who owned it said it was smoking and there was a coolant leak and she was told it was the head gasket. Now this car ran smooth before and the codes on it are all minimal things. I checked the oil first and it was well past the full line, and that is what's smoking out the back and the coolant leak was just a hose which I had an extra of. I drained the oil til it was at the right level leaving a gallon in my bucket, like holy ****. How can you do that? Well apparently she only brought 5 quarts to her mechanic and he told her she needed more. So she put more in herself. Anyway ya air bubbles were on the dip stick from air getting mixed in the oil, it smokes less now but still a little when I accelerate, there is oil in the y pipe all the way to the filter and a lot in the throttle body boot which I also found has a few holes and cracks, there is also a hole in the y pipe where the plastic cover connects. So guys what do you think? I can still get plenty of parts out of it but if I can fix it I'd rather do that. Any suggestions??
Old 11-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And the codes I did get were for Crankshaft position sensor, air quality sensor, outside air temp sensor and antenna not functioning
Old 11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by patriotsfan3256
Hey guys I could use your help with a few things.
so I've had a few c5 a6 2.7's now and I now will buy others if they are cheap enough just for parts or to fix. Now I just bought a 2004 A6 2.7t S-line for 400$ The woman who owned it said it was smoking and there was a coolant leak and she was told it was the head gasket. Now this car ran smooth before and the codes on it are all minimal things. I checked the oil first and it was well past the full line, and that is what's smoking out the back and the coolant leak was just a hose which I had an extra of. I drained the oil til it was at the right level leaving a gallon in my bucket, like holy ****. How can you do that? Well apparently she only brought 5 quarts to her mechanic and he told her she needed more. So she put more in herself. Anyway ya air bubbles were on the dip stick from air getting mixed in the oil, it smokes less now but still a little when I accelerate, there is oil in the y pipe all the way to the filter and a lot in the throttle body boot which I also found has a few holes and cracks, there is also a hole in the y pipe where the plastic cover connects. So guys what do you think? I can still get plenty of parts out of it but if I can fix it I'd rather do that. Any suggestions??
Just drive it. Any damage has already been done. I would not invest a lot of money in it until you can prove to yourself that it is reliable and not needy. Clean out the extra oil, fix the vacuum and boost leaks and drive it like you stole it (which you absolutely did.)
Old 11-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll also add I've only driven it a quarter mile twice and it does sound ok I, there is a lack of power, when I accelerate I mostly hear air, it's not like my daily where I hear the turbos and motor distinctly, but between the hole in the y pipe and tbb, on top of that the clamp wasn't even on the pipe going to the maf it was sitting loosely on the other side, and the diverter valve tubes weren't clamped and slipped right out easily
Old 11-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So what is still causing the oil smoke out of the exhaust upon acceleration?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by patriotsfan3256
So what is still causing the oil smoke out of the exhaust upon acceleration?
Most likely residue from the over-fill incident. Poor acceleration probably due to intake leaks as described. Plugs are probably fouled also.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree with Harleyguy. I would do oil & filter change, and clean up any evidence of the oil overfill (plugs, air supply plumbing, etc.) before driving any distance. Otherwise the residual oil may create problems that quickly multiply. Then you will start seeing secondary issues such as oxygen sensors, cats, etc. Resolve the air leaks at the same time. You may have a great buy if you don't exacerbate the issue by driving as is.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's probably smoking from them cam caps in the back there plastic. There is a video on YouTube. Shouldn't over fill it. It will leak faster. They notoriously leak and it's a good idea to keep oil unless you