A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What holds the igntion key in

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What holds the igntion key in

when the shift lever is in any position other than Park? A solenoid? Where is it? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Cable.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

little more complicated yet easy...the lock holds the key in, i.e., when the key is turned anyway but all the way off the key can't be taken out.

More to the point is what stops you from turning the the key all the way off when the tip selector is in any position but P... answer is cable that's hooked to the steering column/ignition switch lock.

What is the real issue prompting the question?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
little more complicated yet easy...the lock holds the key in, i.e., when the key is turned anyway but all the way off the key can't be taken out.

More to the point is what stops you from turning the the key all the way off when the tip selector is in any position but P... answer is cable that's hooked to the steering column/ignition switch lock.

What is the real issue prompting the question?
Thanks. It is all because I want to fold the power mirrors automatically somehow. I was thinking about auto folding when you put park or you arm the alarm system using the remote. If the park lock was related to some electrical signal I could use it to fold the mirrors.
But anyway, I believe the better choice is to fold the mirrors when you arm the alarm using the remote as well as unfold when disarm.
The biggest problem I see is that when you remove the ignition key the power line to fold motors is cut. So, even if I could catch some signal from the alarm system when it is arming, I would not be able to fold the mirrors because the fold control module does not have power.
Thinking better, I believe that even if I have a "park signal" I would not be able to use it because of the same problem. Unless you wait until the mirros are completely folded, you could not remove the key after selecting park, which is not a nice idea.
I have to go after a more elaborated solution.
BTW, if you know how to do this, please let me know.
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've got the factory power folding mirrors on the '02 A6 4.2 and I've got to ask what's the life expectancy of the folding mechanism? I'm thinking that they are for occasional use only and probably won't last all that long if they are continually cycled every time the alarm is armed/disarmed. Kinda/sorta like the power rear sunshade which the '02 is also factory equipped with likely isn't designed to be regularly raised and lowered.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by monkeytronic
I've got the factory power folding mirrors on the '02 A6 4.2 and I've got to ask what's the life expectancy of the folding mechanism? I'm thinking that they are for occasional use only and probably won't last all that long if they are continually cycled every time the alarm is armed/disarmed. Kinda/sorta like the power rear sunshade which the '02 is also factory equipped with likely isn't designed to be regularly raised and lowered.
That's a good point.
My love story with those mirrors has begun a long time ago...
Indeed when I bought the car (used), the folding mechanism was not working. The mirrors "tried" to fold but something was preventing them to.
I disassembled all the mechanism and found the problem was dirt and that the grease has dried out. That problem forced the motors pretty much because they are timer controlled and so they were receiving the 12V but they were locked up. This situation can heat or even fry any electric motor.
I cleaned everything and put new grease and since then they work like new. No harm due to overheat and no gear damage.
At that moment, what passed through my mind was: if you don't fold them regurlarly, dirt will deposit, they will lose their lubrication and get stuck. When I opened it, I remember the mechanism didn't appear weak to me but I don't remember if the gears are made of plastic or metal.

At least I expect that they have to resist to a driver who has the habit to fold the mirrors every time he stops the car. Also, new models from Audi have this automatic behavior.
I'm willing to take the risk anyway, but your point make sense. Let's see what happens... if they beak at least I think I can try to fix my old friends again.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

well, something stays alive for awhile after the key is removed. For example, the radio and power windows still work for say 20 minutes.

So you should be able to use that to run the fold control module?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
well, something stays alive for awhile after the key is removed. For example, the radio and power windows still work for say 20 minutes.

So you should be able to use that to run the fold control module?
Yes, this is exactly what I have in mind. I'll research about it.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm diving into the electrical diagrams right now. I just can't believe how complex the electrical/electronic system of this car is.
It is so complex and has a so sophisticated level of thechnology that you still don't find in many of today's cars. And I'm talking about a project which is more than 11 years old!
I'm admiring it... Now, think about the 2010 A8!
Old 11-26-2009, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I dunno. In Europe with narrow streets people generally close the folding side mirrors everytime they park on the street. Saves mirrors from morons on motorcycles or bicycles. I suspect the duty cycle for those mirrors is several hundred thousand. If one breaks, just replace it. Fact-o-life.

Quick Reply: What holds the igntion key in