A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What makes a C5 "Wide Body" wide

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes a C5 "Wide Body" wide

As I look through suspension parts for the C5 wagons (minus the RS6), they seem to be segmented (grouped) by number of cylinders without regard to, for one example, a a specific model. However, I have not had opportunity physically measure the actual dimensions.
However, when I look at a separate diagram of allroad parts (2001-03) I see very little differentiation between engine sizes for parts (except for engine compartment items).

I read in Wikipedia:
The V8 models arrived with significantly altered exterior body panels, with slightly more flared wheel arches (fenders), revised headlamps and grille design (before being introduced in 2002 to all other A6 models), larger roadwheels (8Jx17-inch), larger brakes and Torsen-based quattro permanent four-wheel drive as standard.
Can one infer from this that from 2002 there really is no differences except in the various different fender flairs for each model?

So, where I’m going with this ultimately is trying to understand what so called “wide-body” parts are applicable to non-wide body C5s assuming the appropriate underlying parts to which they attach are also installed.

For example, if one had a 2003-04 RS6 Avant (biturbo 4.2 with Tip), and a 2005 allroad (biturbo 2.7 with 6MT) which parts group(s) many of the RS6 parts could be directly applicable to the allroad assuming one were willing to transfer the necessary underlying parts also?

So, I’m not really sure if I’ve opened up a huge topic or not but please, oh wise ones, as much information or insights your willing to share will all be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Okay so i am going to try my best to answer this. It was kind of long winded and semi confusing.

first off i know the all roads have an air bag suspension setup so i would not recommend putting a spring lowering kit on that car.

I have a 2001 2.7t MT6 and i know coilover fit the 2.8 and the 3.0. It is also the same suspension as the Passat 4 motion W8. But i do not think it is the same suspension as the 4.2 with the "Wide body"

The Wide body comes on the A6 4.2 and the RS6 with the 4.2t (and the S6 if they made it that year i dont think ive seen one.) The "wide body" just refers to the flared fenders. One would assume different suspension would come with the "wide body" because they would need to keep the wheels somewhat flush with the fender.

Here is a link i had bookmarked that may be helpful its to the coilovers for my 2.7t A6
http://thmotorsports.com/i-577941.as...Fc9cMgodkCEAOQ
Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Wide body" cars have wider "door blades" (AKA door bottom trim strips) made of better stuff. They seem to be made of fiberglass or something like that instead of the puddy-over-rusty-steel Krapp that came on my '01 A6 2.8. I have one wide body blade on the driver's door and no one ever notices it until I specifically point it out to them!

Have a nice day
Steve
Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bilbo, as was pointed out in your other thread with the exact same text on Audizine:

- 3.2" wider track due to differences in control arms, brake and wheel offsets + wider wheels/tires
- 1.4" longer body length
- wider fender flares
- longer and wider hood
- wider front and rear bumpers
- wider headlights
- wider windscreen and longer wiper arms
- aluminium hood
- aluminium front fenders
- aluminium suspension running gear (control arms/knuckles)
- aluminium front subframe (all V8)
- aluminium rear subframe (S6 and RS6 only)
- larger door blades than non-allroad narrowbody (4.2/S6)
- flat door blades w/ wider ground skirt (RS6)
- significantly beefier transmission resulting in much larger transmission tunnel

Most differences are exterior, the only interior difference is the tilt/telescope steering column is power adjust with memory and auto-retract on all V8's and the 2000-2001 4.2's had a different rear bench with bucketed seats and only 2 head rests.

Originally Posted by steveinky
"Wide body" cars have wider "door blades" (AKA door bottom trim strips) made of better stuff. They seem to be made of fiberglass or something like that instead of the puddy-over-rusty-steel Krapp that came on my '01 A6 2.8. I have one wide body blade on the driver's door and no one ever notices it until I specifically point it out to them!

Have a nice day
Steve

There's a bit more to it than just door blades, which are all made of plastic.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 01-28-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bilb0
As I look through suspension parts for the C5 wagons (minus the RS6), they seem to be segmented (grouped) by number of cylinders without regard to, for one example, a a specific model. However, I have not had opportunity physically measure the actual dimensions.
However, when I look at a separate diagram of allroad parts (2001-03) I see very little differentiation between engine sizes for parts (except for engine compartment items).

I read in Wikipedia:
The V8 models arrived with significantly altered exterior body panels, with slightly more flared wheel arches (fenders), revised headlamps and grille design (before being introduced in 2002 to all other A6 models), larger roadwheels (8Jx17-inch), larger brakes and Torsen-based quattro permanent four-wheel drive as standard.
Can one infer from this that from 2002 there really is no differences except in the various different fender flairs for each model?

So, where I’m going with this ultimately is trying to understand what so called “wide-body” parts are applicable to non-wide body C5s assuming the appropriate underlying parts to which they attach are also installed.

For example, if one had a 2003-04 RS6 Avant (biturbo 4.2 with Tip), and a 2005 allroad (biturbo 2.7 with 6MT) which parts group(s) many of the RS6 parts could be directly applicable to the allroad assuming one were willing to transfer the necessary underlying parts also?

So, I’m not really sure if I’ve opened up a huge topic or not but please, oh wise ones, as much information or insights your willing to share will all be appreciated.

Are you trying to convert an Allroad to an RS6? Both Allroads (V6 and V8) are identical except for the engine. They even share the same 5HP19 transmission (automatic), but only the V6 Allroad can be had with a manual transmission. V8 has 18" wheels, but that's not structural.

In any case, there are coilover kits for the Allroad. You can also put regular C5 parts into the Allroad, such as all control arms and the upright. But you cannot mix and match. It's either all A6 C5 suspension components or all Allroad suspension components.

If installing A6 or RS6 suspension components be sure to remove subframe spacers on the Allroad. Otherwise it will sit too low.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There's a bit more to it than just door blades, which are all made of plastic.[/QUOTE]

Intelligent folks know what I'm saying. Non wide body cars have door blades made of dung over scheit.

Have a nice day
Steve
Old 01-29-2014, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Intelligent folks know what I'm saying. Non wide body cars have door blades made of dung over scheit
Umm.... ok. The construction of all A6/S6/RS6 door blades is exactly the same: plastic. The only metal used in them are 2 threaded nuts embedded in either end of the plastic mounting strip used to attach them to the car. Size is the only difference between the 3 models of door blade. Allroad blades are the only ones made of metal and aluminium doesn't rust.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BS. The OE door blades on my '01 A6 2.8 are made of crappy rubberized gunk over a rotting steel core. The nice replacements from a A6 4.2 junkyard special are made of fibreglaas or better.

But, since you know it all, believe what you want!

Have a nice day
Steve
Old 01-30-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about a "nice broad" in the backseat?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BS. The OE door blades on my '01 A6 2.8 are made of crappy rubberized gunk over a rotting steel core. The nice replacements from a A6 4.2 junkyard special are made of fibreglaas or better.

But, since you know it all, believe what you want!

Have a nice day
Steve
I agree there just junk if you live anywhere corrosive. The regular A6 ones are and A4 ones are steel with rubberized plastic over them and the steel just rots away and the things just fall apart and make the cars look like garbage. I think allroad ones are like the wide body ones and have fiberglass or something instead of the steel inside.