A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

At what Milage should the Transmission Fluid be changed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indecided
My transmission takes longer then usual to shift out of 1st after sitting idle for say, overnight or 6-8 hours. It usually pushes it to 3k+ before shifting, but after that it never happens again until the next semi-cold start.

I read somewhere that it may be the car's way of heating up the cats to reach operating efficiency by holding the gear, but I have no way of telling... anybody?
My 2001 A6 does the same thing. I had about 80k miles when I first noticed this, so I changed the trans fluid (followed directions to the letter) and it still does it. Like you, once it's warmed up for a minute it acts fine, so I have just learned to be patient before taking off in cooler weather. Am interested in others opinions about this symptom.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 68jcode
My 2001 A6 does the same thing. I had about 80k miles when I first noticed this, so I changed the trans fluid (followed directions to the letter) and it still does it. Like you, once it's warmed up for a minute it acts fine, so I have just learned to be patient before taking off in cooler weather. Am interested in others opinions about this symptom.

Fun that you say this...I have a 04 S-line w/40k on the clock. After I changed my fluid ( A hole in the pan). I notice the same thing. I don't remember if it did it before, but it does it now. I did take it to the local shop and had the trans fluid topped off, about a month after the pan was replaced, it did seem to help a little.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Elder Member

Default that is part of the emissions syst...

the delayed shift from 1st is typical on cold starts.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Elder Member

Originally Posted by 68jcode
see above... typical, emissions related, mine's done it since day 1 when new...

ATF changed at 35k and 85k, now at 102k and still shifts fine & smoothly (knock on wood).
Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jon C
see above... typical, emissions related, mine's done it since day 1 when new...

ATF changed at 35k and 85k, now at 102k and still shifts fine & smoothly (knock on wood).
I had the biggest shock of my life about two hours ago. I picked up the O-ring and drain bolt from the dealer, went home and proceeded to fill the transmission. And yes, I did spill half a quart of the stuff.. the marine pump tipped over the bottle, which was a real pain.

Anyhow, I got a friend to move the gears around, and everything went fine, until he shifted from R to P. I heard a LOUD grinding noise, followed by the PRNDL on the DIS all selected, which meant limp mode. My heart stopped for a second.. and the first thing that came to mind was "rebuilt transmission". That horrible sinking feeling when you know you broke something.

Either way, I pulled the codes since i had my VAG-COM hooked up for the temperature, and it was a "Gear 3 incorrect ratio" code. Trust me, I almost went nuts at that point. Pulled myself together, cleared the DTC and had my friend proceed and do the gears another time per the instructions. No loud noise this time, but my brain couldn't stop thinking about the possible eventuality - a rebuilt transmission..

Remounted the wheels (I had flushed the brakes) as quickly as I could, tightened them and proceeded to the painful task of lowering the car. (painful because to get the car up high enough, the floor jack needs to go on 2 2x8s..)

Took it out for a drive, and everything seemed fine. Let the car warm up, and drove it for another 30 minutes.....no issue at all. Put it into reverse and back into park, and everything was fine.

At that point I realized what had happened. My friend was a little short, so when he was changing gears from R to P, he did not fully step on the brakes.. hence the car was still in "reverse" when he pulled it into Park. Which explains everything.. I felt a hell lot better at that point.

Either way, the transmission now shifts slightly smoother, and besides the big scare, it's been success mostly. I just need to figure out how to get the airbox off to replace the filter.. Phew.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

So gents....i read alot about changing the oil in the auto transbox......but when i read my manual and servicebook it only says the level has to be checked....its an A6 2,7t Quattro Avant 2000. I even called the Audidealer and the workshop told me that it was from the year 2001 that u have to change the oil and on some modells no change needed at all unless u have problems with it.....wich is it??? So many thoughts and words said in this matter....getting confused here....anyone really knows 100%???
Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Woulda if I coulda.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BalooBear
the workshop told me ... some modells no change needed at all unless u have problems with it....
Some transmissions have lifetime fluid. The correct answer depends on what your definition or expectancy of "lifetime" is.

If you never change your engine oil, the original oil will last the lifetime of the engine...which will be about 30k miles with any luck.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i cant believe this many people have the triptragic transmission
Old 05-29-2009, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The tiptronic isn't that bad, esp after May 2001 in the 4.2, which seems to have the most problems. The real problem child is the CVT, especially when hooked to a 3.0.

Quick Reply: At what Milage should the Transmission Fluid be changed?