A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

At what mileage is it safe to chip a car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2001, 03:47 PM
STP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At what mileage is it safe to chip a car?
Old 01-12-2001, 04:04 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default Not safe to chip at any time.

But, if you must chip, wait at least till after the breakin period. If you can hold out a little longer I would wait till after your first service and oil change, let the engine break in. Usually if your car has any inherent problems with the engine , hopefully they would show themselves in the first 7500 miles. The after that if you must chip then do it.
Old 01-12-2001, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I chipped mine immediately ,

but I don't use high power outputs very much. Chipping only raises the boost and power at high throttle settings, which you shouldn't use during break-in anyway. A light foot in a chipped car is fine.

Jim
Old 01-12-2001, 05:19 PM

Default Depends on your comfort level

If you drive conservatively during the break-in period, it won't hurt to install a modified ECU from a reputable tuner. The bigger question is whether or not you've worked any potential kinks out of your powertrain. It would be unfortunate to chip the car and then have a turbo fail that would have failed with the stock ECU.

Another point to consider is your relationship with your dealer's service department. I'd suggest establishing a track record with them of being forthright about modifications and making it clear that you take care of your vehicle. In my experience that makes a substantial difference in how they'll treat you when something breaks. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-12-2001, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Not safe to chip at any time.

Please elaborate on why you think it is unsafe to chip.
Old 01-12-2001, 05:52 PM

Default Re: At what mileage is it safe to chip a car?

It is safe at anytime but, talk to your dealer service manager first. I understand that some dealers are chip friendly, others will void the warranty.
Old 01-12-2001, 06:05 PM
Elder Member

Default because you are pushing your car beyond spec

You make you bed and you lie in it. Most people have had no problems though.
Old 01-12-2001, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default not exactly...

You are pushing the car beyond factory settings. the KKK K03 turbos are actually rated at a max load of around 18 PSI. Factory settings at around 9 (for 2.7t). "Chipped" is usually 13-14..

So, it's definitely higher and closer to the max rating, but it's not pushed beyond the design limit. You're just eating into the "safety margin" that Audi has set. And yes, you are making your own bed...but it's a fast bed... :-)
Old 01-12-2001, 07:56 PM

Default It depends on whose definition of "safe" you're using.

I'll stick with Audi's. They're the experts on the durability of their components. Remember: That bonus power affects not only the engine but other components such as the clutch and transmission. Because this is a horsepower-hungry market segment I'm sure Audi tweaks as much as possible without sacrificing a reasonable level of durability. If they don't, they won't remain competitive.

You must also consider how long you'll need your mod to remain "safe." It might be great for 20K miles but how about 100K?
Old 01-12-2001, 11:09 PM
Elder Member

Default that doesn't take into account a lot of things

First, that KKK didn't design the other parts of the intake, or the engine, so just because the turbos can take 18PSI doesn't mean the rest of the system can.

Second, as I understand, KKK turbos (K03's included) are customized and grade to the car they are on. Just because there is a version of the K03 that can do 18PSI doesn't mean the ones Audi purchases and puts on our cars are that version.

Quick Reply: At what mileage is it safe to chip a car?