A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What is the popping at the top of the RPM band

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com

I've found that using a gasoline that meets Top Tier specifications eliminates the carbon buildup problem.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
That is not true, at least on the direct injection engines. People with RS4s used only Shell gas (which has no ethanol at 91 octane), and still had tremendous CB buildup on as few as 5,000 miles.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
That is not true, at least on the direct injection engines. People with RS4s used only Shell gas (which has no ethanol at 91 octane), and still had tremendous CB buildup on as few as 5,000 miles.
bad example as the FSI engines get carbon buildup no matter what.... which is one reason i suggest WAI injection to EVERYONE that has one of those engines! the easiest way to fix a glaring error by VAG
Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Let's undertand the issue.

First, ethanol is not the cleaning agent. Techron is (or similar, although i have foudn few that are truly its equal).

Second, the problem with DI engines has nothing to do with brand of gas. It is that the gas is injected directly (duh) - thus it does not pass over the valve seats and valves, thus cleaning them as a routine part of being sucked into the cylinder.

The problem remains whether you use shell, exxon, some poor mexican's dinner, or moonshine.

G
Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i think the overwhelming number of answers says enough for me!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Just Me
Let's undertand the issue.

First, ethanol is not the cleaning agent. Techron is (or similar, although i have foudn few that are truly its equal).

Second, the problem with DI engines has nothing to do with brand of gas. It is that the gas is injected directly (duh) - thus it does not pass over the valve seats and valves, thus cleaning them as a routine part of being sucked into the cylinder.

The problem remains whether you use shell, exxon, some poor mexican's dinner, or moonshine.

G
to get REAal technical, its all the fault of the botched cyclonic oil separation system, if we didnt need to recirc the crankcase vapors, there would be no carbon buildup
Old 03-28-2012, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A solution for a fresh DI engine (either brand new, or just manually cleaned): install a catch can.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that's true, but the thing that changed int he new motors is only the switch from port injection to DI. So we concentrate on the change.

political rant alert.....you may tune out now.....

Remember all these things when you consider whether all of our ever tightening emissions regulations have a net benefit. Our politicians (few of whom are engineers) and the environmental lobbyists (who seem to be rather extremists and technically unsophisticated) continue to push for technology that makes very minor impacts on our air quality. Cars have been >>>90% clean for ages (putting aside C02, which cant be eliminated from an oxidation reaction). So many of the costly, hard-to-fix new systems on our vehicles are making small reductions in the remaining few percent. Diminishing returns, with accelerating costs and complexity. bear this in mind when you vote, when you reply to surveys, etc. We all want a clean environment, but an 80/20 rule might have us looking first at coal fired electrical plants (you know, the ones powering hybrid vehicles - yea, those!)
/ rant

G
Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

where emissions should be focusing IS the C02. they need to start implimenting carbon scrubbers after the cat that can further clean the air. rather then worring about parts that like you said are already above 90% efficent
Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That popping sound is just your exhaust. Probably has to do with the mufflers/ resonators.

Sounds cool if you ask me! I don't think there is an issue as the engine sounds healthy.

Jason
Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
That popping sound is just your exhaust. Probably has to do with the mufflers/ resonators.

Sounds cool if you ask me! I don't think there is an issue as the engine sounds healthy.

Jason
I agree, Definitely a sound i enjoy, just like to be sure what im hearing, Id hate to say hey hear this and then BOOM.... i know that isnt applicable here but still

Quick Reply: What is the popping at the top of the RPM band