A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What should one do if on the first day they drive a new car home, the tranny dies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should one do if on the first day they drive a new car home, the tranny dies?

Needing to be replaced...any recourse in California?

Just curious. A co-worker of mine just got a Passat GLX and on the first day within 15 or 20 miles, noted that the car would not go into reverse. VW took the transmission apart and noted something was "missing" and said it must've come from the factory this way since it had lots of metal shavings and debris in there. They then replaced the transmission.
This guy fought with VWUSA and the dealer and consulted the AF legal people...and basically was told he had to let them fix it...which he ultimately did.

It just doesn't seem right though...broken door latch or seat heater...fine, but toasted transmission? not fine.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Not so odd if you think about it

I've read that with electronics, either they fry up in the first few days or they last forever.

If a tranny is incorrectly built, it ain't gonna last very long. So get that problem behind you. I would look on the bright side and see that your friend now has a brand spanking new tranny, with a full factory warranty, that should last longer than any of us.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, it would've been brand new anyway...it only had 30 miles on it!

My point is really that it was a MAJOR defect that was present at delivery...or essentially a hidden defect...perhaps someone at the dealership or along the delivery pathway even noticed that reverse did not engage properly (I have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me). If noticed prior to signing papers, I'm certain they wouldn't have accepted the vehicle...

The old tranny was only 30 miles older than the new one...and having a car brand new that needs a new tranny just kinda leaves a bad "taste" in ones mouth about their beautiful new car...plus, perhaps anectodotal, but nonetheless...it seems that cars that need major work like this early on are much more problematic (majorly) than those that don't have big problems in the first weeks.

Just curious though, no big deal to me.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think any major component that is not original is, to an extent, suspect.

When a major component (engine, transmission) gets installed at the factory, there's a relatively low risk of screw-up. Installation conditions are optimal (clean factory, skilled tech, best sequence). Seems to me that there is so much risk of improper installation and collateral damage to other components when something is repaired, that the replaced part (even if it is 30 miles newer) is going to present higher risk of early failure.

I'd ask for another 12 months/12,000 mile warranty (not that I'd necessarily get it!)
Old 01-08-2003, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default There is no recourse in Ca. Once you inspect and drive the car,

then sign the papers and drive off the lot, you are done.

That sort of defect is really odd. Of course if the tech doesn't do much of test drive during the PDI, it can be hard to catch - since the car may never need to go into reverse - just go to the gas station for a fill.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They hafta' back it off the truck! ;)

Yeah, I realize California is a no cooling off period state...but even though I know there is no legal recourse, I believe VW should "do the right thing" and replace the car. They should WANT to satisfy you early on especially...they did not provide what they "promised" to by giving a severely defective car with a problem that may significantly affect the future reliability and possibly resale value...they didn't provide a brand new perfectly functioning car. Morally, IMO, they should have replaced the car...not legally. But anyway...
Old 01-08-2003, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I hear ya. Some cars loaded backwards - still means

the car is backed onto the truck though. Problem is that the truck transporters don't care/notice - so long as the car moves.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That kinda sucks... I know our inspection did not involve a test drive of the new car itself.

We had already test driven other <i>examples</i> of the car, and filled out paper work before the new car was delivered. Had the engine not been included with the chassis, we wouldn't have known before the purchase was made! =) (I think we would have noticed before driving off, however.)