A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What would you do? 02 A6 2.7t or 05 S60 T5

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am apprehensive about getting another E46 Bimmer because of the rear subframe issue. That's the reason I sold my 330i to get the Lexus. If I were to get another BMW, it would be an E39.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Both. The sedans were a bargain!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

AFAIK there were few rear subframe problems on the M3....some at 15K, some with none at 80K.
Even then, it's a relatively inexpensive fix compared to a TB service on a C5.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 12-18-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Countering a couple of assumptions you made on the Audi.

You say this is an 02 2.7T right?

First, the transmissions are generally OK if you service them (filter and fluid, no flush) regularly (50k) or so, and don't chip it - just drive it nicely.

Second, the turbos, again properly maintained, go a long, long time int he A6 chassis - 150-200k is not an issue. It, of course, depends on pat maintenance. Going forward use good synthetic oil, change it every 5-7k; drve easy until oil is warm; don't shut it down immediately after running the turbos very hard.

Very solid car. Control arms can be an issue - the bushings and ball joints wear. just replace the individual ones and only use OEM - the kits are generally crummy.

My experience is that a well maintained Audi is not too far out of line on maintenance. Mine have all run (on average) about $1200/year. Note that may be $3600 one year and zero the next two. In fact, it was once.

Grant
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had about $14k one year in repairs on the 2.7! - but the last few have been pretty good, mostly oil changes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What I would do with those thoughts

At my age I've owned several cars and then the Audi's, where do I start.
It's a Love Hate thing to own them because the only way to stay ahead of a left and right cash toss aside from payments is to really do the maintenance and work yourself if you can while wondering if the parts your researched are OEM quality.

I've said it before as I will now that if you want to keep these cars for awhile keep them out of the stealership at all cost, yes those techs are professionals alright at fixing to see you again and again ever so tactfully, so if you can't work on your car you are at the mercy of who is.

Then you have to live with the car, drive it and like it too, I never have had more compliments, eye glazing or look stares with any other car I've owned, the Audi's.

Your choices are what you have to accept, you know what are mine along with the majority of this post leaning to suggest these interests based on long time ownership and experiences.

Just my four cents.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I took an S60 on an extended test drive today. I simply took the car along my usual commute which includes highway travel, some twisty canyon roads, and a u-turn. I was most concerned about maneuverability in parking lots and the u-turn and I am sorry to say that the S60 didn't do well. It barely was able to turn around across THREE lanes of asphalt, never mind pull into a tight parking stall. And the more I drove it, the more I notice other annoyances. The wind noise from the wiper arms is terrible, and my view of the gauges always seemed obstructed by my hands griping the wheel. The engine was great. The 2.5T had plenty of torque to accelerate up some very steep hills. I notices a lot of creaking from the suspension over bumps at low speeds too. So I find myself a little disenchanted with the S60.

What really surprised me though was what the independent Audi mechanic told me about the 2.7t. I asked specifically about the transmission and the turbos. He said the tiptronic is going to give me problems, period. But the turbos are very durable provided the oil was changes every 3-5k miles with full synthetic oil. With their huge client base, they rarely see a 2.7 that needs new turbos. So tomorrow I am taking the A6 out on the same route and I'm feeling pretty hopeful. I will be looking for a 6-speed though.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:47 AM
Tech Guru

Received 108 Likes on 99 Posts

You may have a torque converter issue with the 02 A6, but a problem with the trans itself is unlikely. Perhaps your mechanic is one of those people who buy into the "lifetime" fluid schtick?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh, i thought it was just the R that had the horrendous turning circle.....it's fun having to do a three point turn to get into any parking spot. Evertime my wife drives in my audi, she always says at least once during the drive - "my car would never have made that turn"
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have another opinion regarding the torque converter. I have been driving a 2001 2.7 A6 with the bad torque converter seal for 60,000+ miles. It went out within 30 days of buying the car. For the first 30,000 miles the lock up never engaged. Then I replaced the trans fluid and filter a couple of times. Now it works about 50% of the time I am on flat roads and not accelerating. But, I live in the hills and am on flat roads only about 10% of the time. So the torque converter lock up is not engaged the vast majority of the time.

My point is the trans is otherwise just fine. I am not concerned about being stranded because of the trans any more than I am about anything else in a car with 150,000+ miles and 11+ years old. With all my driving in the hills (8000 ft elevation) I average 20 mpg. I am not light footed.

Plus, my car came with a history of being driven hard. It had been chipped (APR)long before I bought it. I replaced it with an MTM chip (much better performance) and continue to drive it hard.

Sure I will eventually repair the torque converter. But not until the trans fails or there is another reason to remove the engine.

I think the torque converter failure is not as bad as people make it out to be.

I love my car and it runs great. I will drive it until it is no longer financially responsible to do so. In my world it is not financially responsible to repair this nearly innocuous issue. And, yes, other than the torque converter all maintenance is done. NO fault codes except the torque. A peace of black tape over the CEL works fine. I can still see if it starts to flash. And I check for other codes regularly.

Flame me if you wish.