A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What's up with putting nitrogen in your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with putting nitrogen in your tires?

drove by a tire shop today and the sign read fill your tires with nitrogen, I think I've heard of this before but forgot the details.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Re: Nitrogen is not affected by heat so tire pressure remains constant as compared to air.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:42 AM
ylc

Default Nitrogen is great for your tires

I haven't tried it yet, but my dad has been using it on his car for a couple of years, and he likes it.
More info on tirelast.com

I got this info from their website.

The TIRELAST<sup>TM</sup> Tire Inflation System is a complete equipment package made in the USA that is specifically designed to deliver nitrogen gas in tires at fleet, off road and automotive service facilities.

TIRELAST<sup>TM</sup> BENEFITS

Tires Last Longer!
Nitrogen is Safer Than Air!
Tire Pressure Holds 30-40% Longer
Better Fuel Mileage and Handling
Fewer Tire Road Failures (Oxygen and Heat Destroy Tires!)
Lower Operating Costs
Our system uses semi-permeable membranes for air separation. Membranes have been widely used to generate nitrogen in a variety of industrial applications and there are thousands of membrane systems installed around the world. These membranes effectively and economically separate oxygen and moisture from compressed air, providing dry, high purity nitrogen.

Nitronics Systems, Inc. has incorporated this nitrogen production method in a system specifically targeted to meet the needs of fleet operators, auto repair shops, quick lubes, tire stores, auto dealers, off road and other automotive service providers.

The system comes with a separate N2FLATION STATION<sup>TM</sup> electronic unit that dispenses the nitrogen gas for the end user. All models incorporate our Fast-Purge technique that speeds up the air to nitrogen tire conversion time, uses less nitrogen in the process, results in higher purity nitrogen in the tires, at the correct tire pressure.

The system can also be equipped with our optional oil-free SONIX<sup>TM</sup> air compressor that uses sound waves to compress the air stream. This technology is patented and exclusive to TIRELAST Systems.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lotta auto-xers I know use it...consistant tire pressures 'cause

water in air heats up and pressures go up. Standard joke: "wanna reduce "unsprung weight"?...use helium!

Cheers,
Old 06-04-2004, 09:02 AM

Where can you get it?? I'd want it for my motorcycle.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

no moisture in it, very little expansion due to heat. Race cars use it.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Been using it in Europe for years.......

...virually any tire shop there uses it for all the stated reasons. I had it in the tires on my Jag and tire pressure NEVER changed over the life of the tire.......
Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Elder Member

Default The problem is liquid water, but ...

it's normally an issue only on track, where nitrogen use is very common.

Did you ever see someone mounting a tire after they slopped soapy water over the bead? When tire temps hit 212 oF, the water turns to steam, and tire pressures go thru the roof. BTW: My S-03 tread temps hit 240 oF at Mid-Ohio two years ago.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I use it in my race car...it minimizes pressure fluctuation when tires get hot.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Unless you have completely removed all the air

from your tires Nitrogen will have only a small effect on tire pressures. If your tires were filled with air you will have to use an extractor to remove and dry out the tires. On my Formula car we have found that once the tires were filled with air then even if we remove the air and reffill it with nitrogen the pressure fluxuations were only .5psi different than if we left the air in.

Quick Reply: What's up with putting nitrogen in your tires?