A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Wheel alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel alignment.

Got question. How difficult is align the front wheels DIY method in an A6 Quattro after replacing tie rods? Is it even possible without specialized equipment? Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you are pretty much going to want to shell out the $79.95 and get it done right. you can maybe get it close by eyeballing and using a tape measure, but i would not recommend going that route
Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely agree with the above. I guess you can do it yourself, but I would venture to say that is only for if you bash it severely out of alignment (say by hitting something) and just want to get it mostly back to normal.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks... I don't mind this is done by a specialized shop. Does anyone know if there any shops in Phoenix, Arizona area that would do it? I'd like to avoid going to a dealer.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audix
Thanks... I don't mind this is done by a specialized shop. Does anyone know if there any shops in Phoenix, Arizona area that would do it? I'd like to avoid going to a dealer.
I can't speak to shops in Phoenix, but a couple general words: you can take it to pretty much any shop to have alignment done. However, most "Joe's Autoshop" places only do "front-end alignment", which as it sounds is just the front wheels. If you're taking it in anyway, you might as well find a place that does full 4-wheel alignment. Second, it would be ideal if that shop also has a Hunter roadforce balance machine where they throw your wheels on it and add weight as necessary to balance out any issues (they're almost like fishing weights that they add to your rims at certain points).
Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

tires plus, discount tire, tire shops in general would be your best bet for best prices, quality enough work, and good equipment
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Side question about alignment: I have a good shop locally that says because of the automatic ride height adjustment on my model (2000 A6 4.2), a special dealer tool is needed. I can't imagine what the stealership would charge for an alignment not to mention the $8,000 of work my car 'needs' if I want to even make it back to the freeway.
-hyde
Old 11-07-2009, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Check out BernieBenz's posts on this subject.
The worst thing that can happen is screwing up the coilspring in the steering wheel if you've changed the steering wheel position to correct for TRE misadjustment. The steering wheel has to be straight ahead regardless of the roadwheel position. THEN you adjust roadwheel position and toe-in using the TRE adjustment.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m off this forum but my DIY Alignment instructions are still here on AW.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Bernie's DIY works great. It's in the tech section. https://www.audiworld.com/tech/

Get a 22mm crowsfoot for 3/8 drive with a 6" extension and an 18mm open end. Couple of boards, tape measure.

Best to get a helper to hold the boards against the tires, but I used bungie cords.

Quick Reply: Wheel alignment.