A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

where to buy Timing Belt kit ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to buy Timing Belt kit ??

Hi I got to replace the timing belt on my A6 1999

I have found this :

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GH21112-C

i think its a good deal. with a new tensioner and new serpentine belt

and for the special tools, blauparts do not rent special tool to canada.. so there is a problem...

any tips ??

thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought mine from Blauparts along with the tensioner and had a local VW dealer install. That's been about 30,000 miles ago. I haven't had any problems, but I'm not sure how often they recommend to change THEIR timing belt. Does anyone else know?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

You'd probably have to tell them the engine you have.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rxpclb
...Does anyone else know?
According to this it is 105K miles, but most people (that know more than me... lol) recommend them at around 75K miles.

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/Ma...e_Schedule.pdf

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Two comments on the Blau kits.

One I don't like that the thermostat lacks a weep hole. I tossed the one they provided and used one that did. Second, I seem to recall some of their water pumps as of recently coming with plastic impellers vs. metal. I'd be really certain that you get metal and not plastic.

As for the tools, I've actually aquired a good number of them cheaply on ebay or through other sellers here on the forum. I've done enough 2.8 timing belt jobs on my old Passat and the A6 that it makes it worthwhile. The Cam sprocket locking bar is a mandatory IMHO. You can get a three-jaw puller from most auto part stores. The crank shaft locking pin is also a good to have...ebay or ZD-Mack is a good source. Seals can be pulled carefully wih a seal puller vs. the Audi tools. And the wrench to hold the fan sprocket can also be procured online. Hope that helps.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Donuts
Two comments on the Blau kits.

One I don't like that the thermostat lacks a weep hole. I tossed the one they provided and used one that did. Second, I seem to recall some of their water pumps as of recently coming with plastic impellers vs. metal. I'd be really certain that you get metal and not plastic.

As for the tools, I've actually aquired a good number of them cheaply on ebay or through other sellers here on the forum. I've done enough 2.8 timing belt jobs on my old Passat and the A6 that it makes it worthwhile. The Cam sprocket locking bar is a mandatory IMHO. You can get a three-jaw puller from most auto part stores. The crank shaft locking pin is also a good to have...ebay or ZD-Mack is a good source. Seals can be pulled carefully wih a seal puller vs. the Audi tools. And the wrench to hold the fan sprocket can also be procured online. Hope that helps.
ok so you are telling me to put into the garbage my thermo and buy a factory one ??? and for the waterpump if its build in metal its good and in plastic isnt.

for the tools. I need the cam locker, crank shaft lockin pin a a seal puller, ill try to rent them local
Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DSMkiller123
ok so you are telling me to put into the garbage my thermo and buy a factory one ??? and for the waterpump if its build in metal its good and in plastic isnt.

for the tools. I need the cam locker, crank shaft lockin pin a a seal puller, ill try to rent them local
The metal vs composite (not plastic!) impeller design debate should not be a deciding factor about what you need. The fact is that it is not the impeller that fails on waterpumps but seals/shafts seizing. OEM pumps use composite propellers and they are just fine.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

just as a data point I recently replaced my timing belt with a kit from Blau .. previously it was done at Audi with an Audi pump .. lasted over 250,000km with said "plastic" ( composite) impeller on the Audi unit.

Blau kit was very complete and had everything i needed .. as for quality I can not say as it is early days yet ..
Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

BTW where in Canada are you ?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
BTW where in Canada are you ?
im from Montreal, you ??

glad to hear that you use blaupart kit without problem !

Quick Reply: where to buy Timing Belt kit ??