A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Where to place jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Where to place jack stands

Well I have already started some of the rojects , took me a good 40 minuutes to get each back wheel off as they were totally bonded to the hub , what a freakin nightmare. Anyway got one of the rotors off and the caliper carrier had a pin seized in. used my handy propane torch and got that out . That side is ready to receive the new rotor when it gets here. I want to get that side on a jackstand so i can do the other side , so when the rotors and pads get here I can just slap them in. Unfortunately I don't know where to put the jack stand I have jacked it up on the reenforced area just inboard of the jack slot and that is great . but once it is up I don't know where to put the jack stands. I tried various suspension bits but all made me nervous so I removed them. I actually carefully put the wheel back on without the rotor and put the wheel bolts back in to hold it secure just so I could stand it without my jack out in my driveway.
Also my bentley is coming with the rotors but can anyone tell me how to retract the e brake so I can recompress the caliper ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little searching resulted in this for jack points...
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?p=1531665

Not sure I understand your second question. Release the emergency brake, and turn the caliper while compressing... maybe do a bit of searching and tech article browsing...
Cheers,
Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the tip . lesson learned. I will check the tech articles about the emerg brake. Most have some type of self adjusting ratchet athat has to be undone to allow the rear piston to compress.

Thanks again
Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are you compressing the piston while you turn it?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

And make sure the dust boot is free before you try to turn it!! If you don't and the dust boot is stuck to the piston, the dust boot WILL twist and probably get jammed between the piston and the cylinder wall as well as torn. Then you have to replace the dust boot which requires blowing the piston out of the cylinder...not fun the first time but learning curve to replace dust boots is steep.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
Thanks for the tip . I will check the tech articles..
Also remember Stoneys

http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html#audiworld

It has this with pics - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=14810327

I have not seen a stuck boot on any of my Audis (per Sloops comment), but that would really suck if it were to occur

Cheers,
Old 06-11-2010, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

under the box section is OK. Or, its always safe (on any car) to place them where the control arms meet the unit chassis. Its taking the full beating all the time - so it has to be strong. and there is usually a thick, stamped steel piece to place the jack under too.

G
Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey Guys

Just an update ... firstly still had trouble getting jack stand points for the rear .. the pics shown were not on my car .. I am real nervous about just picking any points on the box as these are heavy cars and can crush the underside pretty quick. Did find an abscure spot that is not on the suspension but i am not convinced it is the safest..any hoo

All went well .. went and borrowed a compresion tool to twist in the caliper as suggested ( thanks for that ) . both carriers had seized upper pins. got one out with heat, snapped off the other so meant a trip to the wreckers and 10.00 later I was back in action with a new carrier and 2 pins.

One of the calipers jammed going back in and wouldn't budge . probably a spec of dust jamming it . had my son sit in the car and we exercised it . he pushed it out with the brake pedal and I winded it back in .. after about 5 minutes it was free and moving like butter ... all back together now and waiting for the new top hats and pads.
Still looking for some good safe rear jack stand points though .. I will post a pic of my points later for future reference, although not ideal
Old 06-12-2010, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW yes the boot was stuck on both sides EXACTLY as described . I just used my fingers to free it up as I noticed it immedaiately ( this car has 350,000 km on it ) once that was freed up things went a lot smoother .. like most things , take your times and you wil be okay ..

great tips guys and much appreciated ..

further update .. jacked at the centre point of the diff and got the stnds under the jack points so great tips there .. got the front end up to .

had to remove all 4 calipers as those bleed niples aren't budging , taking them to a mechanic with a blue wrench to help out , this is not the time to be a hero.

All going well, front right side had some MAJOR damage , brake pad material seam to be melted to the disk , disk all contaminated with Pad material , splash shield paint completely gone front and back , noing left of caliper bellows, completely gone.. something very bad happened here and I wouldn't be surprised if i am replacing a wheel bearing soon.

had to remove the piston fromt he caliper obviously with my air compressor and it came out with such force it nearly broke my little finger that unfortunately got in the way....
stil waiting for pads and rotors so ordered up 2 caliper rebuild kits and new brake lines .. got them off without much trouble . buggered one of the compresion firttings to the hard line and is now circular .. will just tighten it back up with vice grips, don't plan on changing the brake lines again .. ever .. so this will do ..

primed and painted the splash shield, off to mech tomorrow and we will see if I am buying any new calipers.

all the best

Last edited by Airbag; 06-13-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

update .... All bleed niples were on solid .. no chance of removong them without breaking them off. removed all 4 calipers , took them to a mechanic who freed them all up for me ... he said one caliper is disintegrating around the ebrake area and chunks are falling off . he is recomending repplacement of the caliper very soon.

Got my new cross drilled rotors for the back .. looks very cool .. but now project is held up as i am waiting to get calipers back and am now replacing flex lines...

now I just have to figure out how to get the inside of the door off for the next project.

Quick Reply: Where to place jack stands