A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

White Engine Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Engine Smoke

Yesterday while out and idling at a stop light I noticed white smoke coming from the corner of the hood on the passenger side. I pulled over and could not pin point the source of the smoke. It seemed to be wafting up from the top left corner of the engine but the source wasn't evident. The oil and engine temperature gauges read normal and there was no white smoke coming from the tailpipe (tell tale sign of blown head gasket). I went home and left it idling and lifted the hood again and...nothing. I'm hoping it's just a split coolant hose but so far I have not been able to see any place where coolant is leaking.

Any ideas thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default white smoke from the hood

Originally Posted by rwish
Yesterday while out and idling at a stop light I noticed white smoke coming from the corner of the hood on the passenger side. Any ideas thoughts would be appreciated.
On my 2.8 that white smoke was a leaky half moon cam seal. Might be the valve cover gasket as well. Did you notice a smell in the cabin?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
On my 2.8 that white smoke was a leaky half moon cam seal. Might be the valve cover gasket as well. Did you notice a smell in the cabin?
It wasn't like when I had a hose with a coolant leak where I smelled it before I saw it but yes I did notice. In this case I smelled it after seeing the smoke and paid more attention to any odd odors inside the car.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's white and smells like a coolant leak - I'd be looking at your coolant temperature sensor - it goes into the pipe behind the head on that side and if it drips can go down on the exhaust pipe, etc.

I've seen the o-ring go bad and a slow leak develop once pressure builds up - but not until the engine is hot. Makes finding the slow leak tough if you don't warm up the engine. Look for white dried coolant on the pipe and the back of the head, etc. A mirror may help.

If it's oil - cam adjuster seals, cam cap, cam seal, valve cover seals could all be a possible cause.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jseklund
If it's white and smells like a coolant leak - I'd be looking at your coolant temperature sensor - it goes into the pipe behind the head on that side and if it drips can go down on the exhaust pipe, etc.

I've seen the o-ring go bad and a slow leak develop once pressure builds up - but not until the engine is hot. Makes finding the slow leak tough if you don't warm up the engine. Look for white dried coolant on the pipe and the back of the head, etc. A mirror may help.

If it's oil - cam adjuster seals, cam cap, cam seal, valve cover seals could all be a possible cause.

X2
Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
X2
X3
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well it hasn't happened again since Sunday afternoon. I’m not taking it on any lengthy trips but the distances I am driving are at least as long as the last time it happened. I don't want the problem to go unchecked but would really like to see it happen again to pinpoint the source so that I can determine if it's a DIY job or one to give to a mechanic. I would think it would be easier to spot a coolant leak (i.e. crusty white residue). An oil leak somewhere might be more difficult to find. Based on the fact that I have not been able to see the tell tale signs of coolant anywhere I’m beginning to think it’s oil (which isn’t good!).
Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default white smoke from the hood

Originally Posted by rwish
Well it hasn't happened again since Sunday afternoon. An oil leak somewhere might be more difficult to find. Based on the fact that I have not been able to see the tell tale signs of coolant anywhere I’m beginning to think it’s oil (which isn’t good!).
But then again it may not be that hard to repair. Check the oil level to make sure it's good. I had to lift the cams on the passenger side to replace the tensioner seal and the half moon but it's not that tough. Or it could just be a leaky valve cover gasket.