A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Who else beside Wolfmayhem and myself have had problems with Eibach springs on a 4.2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who else beside Wolfmayhem and myself have had problems with Eibach springs on a 4.2?

I had Pro-Kit springs installed on Monday and have driven over 200 miles and the car is still higher than with the stock springs. Wolfmayhem found out that Eibach has never tested the springs on a US 4.2. Blaine at Eibach here in SoCal, said they might test the springs on a 4.2 maybe even my car but so far they have had only a couple of complaints. Probably Wolfmayhem and mine. He also said there is no settle or break in time on their springs. Don't get me wrong, the car does handle better but to me my car has the height of an Allroad. I need feedback and other people to call Blaine at Eibach if they have the same problem. Blaine said if there is a problem Eibach will take the springs back and make new springs for the US 4.2
Old 07-30-2003, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A friend had the same experience. I think its rather common (I'll see if its in my FAQ).

Hmm... If I recall correctly, he had them installed, and the car was not lower. Higher, even. One possibility was that they might have installed Avant springs, but we never confirmed.

After that, he put on H&R springs. They ride too low, and are slightly bouncy.

Since then he's considered going back to stock, but I don't think he'll like the look of his new 20" wheels with the stock fender gap.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. I've figured I would go with coilvers if/when I do it. They are foolproof, but a bit pricey.<ul><li><a href="http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html#suspension">http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html#suspension</a</li></ul>
Old 07-31-2003, 12:51 AM

Default I have 19's and the gap is killing me. Like I said, it was lower with the stock springs. If Eibach..

doesn't come up with a fix I'll either go back to stock or have to come up with something else. H&amp;R's have to much of a drop and with the other mods I've done so far and just buying the car 2 months ago I dont have the money for coil overs right now.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yep, the coilovers cost a chunk $1200+install

maybe more depending upon which brand coilover one chooses to go with.

I was hoping for this H&amp;R/Eibach spring issue to settle itself out, but no luck so far.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you replace the stock springs or the sport ones??

The sport package springs are made by Eibach to begin with.. I still find it weird that the 4.2 has been out for years yet no-one seems to know exactly which springs/shocks will do the desired job of lowering it a little and stiffening up the ride a little past sport. It seems to still be a crapshoot.. I would like to lower my 4.2 about 1 inch more and not much stiffer tha sport.. but I still cant find anyone who knows for sure which springs/shocks will do it. ( I dont want H&amp;R coilovers).
Old 07-31-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Since I bought my car used I didn't know for sure if it had the sport suspension or not....

I found out today that it did come with the sports package including the sport suspension. I'll talk this over with Eibach and see if that makes a difference. Maybe the stock sport package springs provide a lower ride than the Eibach Pro-Kit springs. If that is the case I think Eibach needs to make a different set of springs for people who's cars have the Audi sport suspension.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Isn't it strange that Eibach stop making springs for the 4.2 after '01 and they don't ...

make springs for the S6.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:08 PM

Does anybody know anything about B&amp;G springs?
Old 07-31-2003, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No way Gecko, the eibachs are definately much lower - ...

you've seen some of the pics of the guys lowered cars right?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:02 PM

I've seen 2.8's and 2.7t's that are lower but not many 4.2's. Have you?

Quick Reply: Who else beside Wolfmayhem and myself have had problems with Eibach springs on a 4.2?