A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Why do Audi's have so many problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my fifth Audi, starting with 1979. Aside from normal items like brakes, thermostat, multi-function sensor, I have had no problems at all. The last Audi, a 1987 went more than 150K before I sold it. Everytime I think of getting a new machine, Audi or some other, I drive my 2002 A6 4.2 Sport, and say "What am I thinking?!"
Old 01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is in response to JAGMAJ. I sell tools for a living and stop in a Mercedes dealership every week. They have there problems as well. I would also say there are very few hands on Merc owners in comparison to Audi, so you want see them on line talking it up. A heater core change in a lot of Mercs entail removing the dashboard. I believe you would be looking at 2500-3000 if done at a dealership.They rust out a lot quicker and there electronics are a nightmare.I do not stop at a BMW shop but I would take a educated guess it's about the same.Over the years the engines have become a lot more durable. The electronics and diagonistics are what keeps ALL shops open.Most of the electrical componets/wiring harness's are subbed out and that is where the majority of the problems are. They could go back to cables for heater controls,chokes,throttle linkage and manual windows butttt it's the bell's and whistles that ups the profit margin and sales in general.Soon there will be one fiber optic line that all componets in the car will run off of, wait untill you have to replace that because your turn signal does not work.The more complcated it gets the more things break.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well, you are definitely not alone. The fact is, VW/Audi has the worst record of major manufacturers for reliability for vehicles that are aged. And by aged, defined as 6 years/up. The cars have a great love relationship with owners in the early years. It is in those later years that things head south. I have had this experience with my '00 Avant.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think thats because after the warranties expire, owners resort to service shops that dont specialize in Audis and they dont get the love they need thus expiring early. These cars maintanince literally has to be researched unless you have the Audi service books. simply put, you need to a excellent shop and tech for these cars to have a chance.
I knew i was in trouble when trying to find a shop in town that would even touch my A6, its pretty bad when a shop here named "German Motors" refused to even look at it!? WTF
Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrodA6
I think thats because after the warranties expire, owners resort to service shops that dont specialize in Audis and they dont get the love they need thus expiring early. These cars maintanince literally has to be researched unless you have the Audi service books. simply put, you need to a excellent shop and tech for these cars to have a chance.
I knew i was in trouble when trying to find a shop in town that would even touch my A6, its pretty bad when a shop here named "German Motors" refused to even look at it!? WTF
I agree with you. And also this "resort to service shops that dont specialize" sometimes doesn't even occur.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

What about the aftermarket parts?
Owners go to shops, replace parts spending the less as possible and don't even ask the brand of the parts used.
Then, they break and they will say: That AUDI is broken again!
By my personal experience, the difference in quality may be enormous from brand to brand and this really matters.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default New A5

Has anyone had a problem with steering or the drivetrain on a new Audi? The car intermittently feels like I am going over speed bumps all the time and the steering wheel shimmies, but it is intermittent and the dealer says nothing is wrong.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Klilli
Has anyone had a problem with steering or the drivetrain on a new Audi? The car intermittently feels like I am going over speed bumps all the time and the steering wheel shimmies, but it is intermittent and the dealer says nothing is wrong.
Welcome to the forums.
The best advice I can give you is to ask this question "New Thread" in the proper forum, this is the A6 C5 forum.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default True

Originally Posted by nogawiduA
I just came over from the JDM side of things I have a 99 audi a quattro and man ive had three electrical problems already. Every day I browse this forum and it seems as if everyone is having the same problems. These cars seems cool but WTF ive had other cars older than my cars now and they dont have wiring and nonesense issues.....does
anyone feel my pain im venting right
now!?!?!? lol
Audi is good mechanically but electrically is the worso, I have 2009 and I have many electric issues with it and it **** me off with those electric problems, it's a big mistake buying Audi since I used to drive mercedes for 5 years and I never had any electric problems. I'm going back to the mercedes, they are very loyal cars
Old 02-17-2016, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 406 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Aiman1983
Audi is good mechanically but electrically is the worso, I have 2009 and I have many electric issues with it and it **** me off with those electric problems, it's a big mistake buying Audi since I used to drive mercedes for 5 years and I never had any electric problems. I'm going back to the mercedes, they are very loyal cars
Your 2009 was obviously not well maintained. Electric issues occur usually because of modified electronics (bad tuning) or previous accident. Audis are great cars. You just did not end up on a good one. Mine is 19 years old but still looks and performs like a brand new car.

Quick Reply: Why do Audi's have so many problems