A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Why would this happen? (Dealership rant)...long

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would this happen? (Dealership rant)...long

Okay, I am not usually negative about dealerships, because I understand that they're in it to make a profit. And usually, the most vocal customers are also the most discerning. Even though I consider myself discerning, I am not (usually) vocal, but I am at a loss as to why the dealer would be reluctant to perform work under the CPO warranty.

Here is the situation:

My car is a 2000 2.7T with 66K miles and CPO up to 1/27/06.

On November 21, I took it in for "an oil burning smell when I'm sitting in traffic and when I get out of the car. Also there are white wisps of smoke coming from the rear of the engine on the passenger side." So...as I'm sure most of us know...cam adjuster seals! Right? So I pick up the car and the service advisor (SA) tells me that they changed the after-run coolant pump...mmm...okay? So I take the car and (of course) that night the smell is still there.

I take the car back in on December 21, for the same complaint. The SA calls me to tell me that the valve cover gaskets are leaking, the cam adjuster seals are leaking and the tie-rod ends are shot. The cost for the valve cover gaskets and cam adjuster seals is $2,000 and the tie-rod ends is $600. So I said, never mind the tie-rod ends because that's not covered under the CPO but thanks for calling anyway. At that time he says he did not realize that the car was covered under the CPO warranty. He calls the next day, and when I go to pick up the car, I see that only the valve cover gasket was replaced (no cam adjuster seals). The SA explains to me that the original diagnosis was probably an overzealous tech and the lead tech said only the valve cover gaskets needed replacing. At that time even the SA said that the cam adjuster seals usually needs replacing at that mileage. I said okay, and took the car. For a few days I did not smell the oil burning, but after the third day the same smell came back with the same wispy white smoke from the rear passenger side of the enginge compartment.

I called Audi and made a formal complaint and the advocate said that I should make another appointment and take it in again.

So I take it in AGAIN today (January 10) for the same complaint. I just got off the phone with the SA and he tells me that the tech saw that there was some residual oil after the last repair that was causing the oil burning smell. Of course this does not make any sense for a number of reasons: 1. the smell was gone after they changed the valve cover gaskets (because the supposedly would have cleaned the area); 2. any "residue" would certainly have "burned" off after two weeks; and 3. a blind man can see exactly where the leak is coming from. So the SA said they are going to keep it another day to "make sure" that cleaning around the area took care of the problem.

So I ask, what is the reluctance to fix the cam adjuster seals? Aren't they getting paid the same whether it's warranty work versus my paying for it?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Warranty work pays less time than customer pay.

Simple.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess. Anyways, I sent AoA a copy of the posting above
Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bring it to Prestige, we'll take care of it.

All great points but the warranty job on the cam adjuster seals actually pays better than CP.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default If that's truely the case,...

someone needs to revisit business school.

Warranty rates are usually bare bones. A lucky tech who works very fast or finds a shortcut might make a few units on a warranty job like this. A customer pay job should have enough time sold for the tech to complete the job at a reasonable pace and still make a few units.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Odd, they changed my cam adjuster seals without even asking under factory warranty.

I would definatly go elsewhere. Not worth it to deal with a dealer like this.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 AM

Default Make sure it's documented and stay on their case.

CPO's are not like the original factory warranty. You often have to fight to get stuff done. It can vary by dealer and how much they're willing to side with the customer. It's an item that should be covered by the CPO.

Stick with it and good luck.

Jim
Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Stop oil burning smell

I had this problem with 2000 A6 2.8L ATQ engine. Before I went to the trouble/expense of replacing the valve cover gasket and the cam adjuster seals, I did a few things.

I replaced the suction pump/purge valve (looks like black chicken's foot). When detaching hoses back there to get at the purge valve, I removed two check valves, one green that looks like a PCV, the other royal blue with small breather hoses attached. They are supposed to allow air to move one direction only. Mine allowed no air through. I sprayed some SeaFoam deep creep into the valves and blew some air through them and they opened up again. I probably didn't have to replace the purge valve, but it was relatively cheap, so I did. Put it all back together and voila, no more oil burning smell. Sure, my valve gaskets still probably leak a little, but it appears that the back pressure from these valves not functioning was the real culprit.

I am guessing that if you just replace the VC gasket and the cam adjuster seal and do not open these valves, you will just blow out the new seals at some point.