A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Wife was victim of a hit and run today - Any hope the police will follow up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife was victim of a hit and run today - Any hope the police will follow up?

Wife was hit by another car today while driving the A6 and the person who hit her fled the scene. As she's a tough young thing, she kept the car going, and chased the person who hit her, called 911 and relayed the number of the license plate, a description of the car, and a description of the individual all while keeping her damaged car on the road.

The 911 operator, level-headed and looking out for my wife's safety, was able to get my wife to pull over and return to where the accident ocurred.

After waiting most of an hour, a Dallas Policeman did come by and wrote out the report. He looked up the plate number and said it fit the description my wife gave and that a detective would look into everything in 3-5 business days.

He also advised that this happened all the time and to just submit the police report to our insurance company as part of an under uninsured motorist claim as he didn't know what would come of any investigation.

Is there any hope that the police will actually follow-up and at least fine the person who drove off? I'd like to have this person held responsible for repairing the damage to the car but I'd settle for knowing the person at least suffered a little for running away from the accident they caused.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:29 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Keep pressing the police.....

...since you have a plate number they have to do something and the other driver's insurance company (not your's) is responsible.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Did you call your insurance agent?

They could lead you in the most logical direction. Some insurance companies have private detectives that can follow up on the investigation. I would think that the police will follow up on it, but I'd still check w/ what my agent advises. Your insurance co will contact the drivers' co and fight it out legally if they pay out. If you are real mad you could get a PI and a lawyer and try yourself. Sorry to hear, I hope your wife is O.K.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st, glad she's OK. 2nd....

...if the car isn't stolen, there is an owner out there somewhere. Worst case scenario, the car is stolen and/or the driver is uninsured. If so, then filing an 'uninsured motorist/hit-run' claim will be the way to go. I'd say that odds are pretty good that they'll find those reponsible.

In the meantime, help your wife relax...it's only a car. :/
Old 04-23-2005, 06:49 PM

Maybe, but don't hold your breath.......glad your wife is okay
Old 04-23-2005, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you can issue a citation yourself..

at least in NY State with this amount of info you can. You r insurance co can also look up the address of the car. Its a lot of work.. but it can be done...
Old 04-23-2005, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default First hand advice

I had this happen to me about 3 months ago, with my A6 winding up totalled when a drunk driver rear ended me at a red light and then took off. At a minimum, it is misdemeanor hit and run, which is an arrestable offense. The police do follow up on these and the DA will prosecute if there is enough evidence. It's helpful if your wife got a look at the other driver, but not necessarily requred.

Also, if your wife was injured, it becomes felony hit and run, which obviously gets the attention of the other guy more than a misdemeanor. If your wife told the cops she was not injured, but she really was, you should contact the investigating officer and make sure that is noted in the report. That's what the DA's office will use to decide what charges to file. I was injured, but I refused paramedic care because I just wanted to get home. Because of that, they filed misdemeanor charges, rather than felony. Most likely the guy/girl who hit your wife was drunk and didn't want to get a DWI.

Make sure you follow up with the police, get a police report, and ensure that they file charges.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Thanks for the responses - the best part is that she's ok

we just spent a little time at dinner discussing how well things actually turned out. That we're even together having a nice dinner is quite something.

It only takes a second to lose everything that matters...

The car will be fixed, the logisitcs of which will be sorted out over the next few weeks. Thankfully, she doesn't need any fixing.

Thanks again,
Ian, better known as Spyder 2.7t
Old 04-23-2005, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default your best chance is getting an uninsured motorist claim from your own ins. company.

The driver ran off because he has no liscense or maybe not even a legal immigrant. Dallas police don't care and won't even make a report if there wasn't an injury and an ambulance involved. your own insurance company may go after him, but don't get your hopes up.

If you hear back from the detective, I'd be surprised.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Glad to hear wifey is OK. Hope justice prevails.

Quick Reply: Wife was victim of a hit and run today - Any hope the police will follow up?