A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Wilbur, I may have found some peace for you . . . non-technical info

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilbur, I may have found some peace for you . . . non-technical info

You posted a few days ago about interior rattles and noises. I had the same problems since about two weeks into ownership. I am not talking about the occasional rattle, squeak, and ticking. I'm talking relentless tap,rattle, squeak, tap, rattle, rattle, tap, sqeak, tick, rattle, rattle, tap. Say it really fast and you will get an idea of what Wilbur may be experiencing.

After driving an A6 that did not have any of the above it only made the problem more noticeable. The headliner rattle was a never ending cacophony of noise. Brutal is being kind.
The service tech "could not replicate" the sound?

Anyway, they found the cause last week and replaced the visor hardware and I think the sunroof surround. Bingo, my car is as silent (even over bumps) as any car I have driven.
You get subtle noises over harsher irregularities but it is a muted and normal car noise.

No constant noise. It is strikingly noticeable. It is by no means a subtle difference. Actually, now I notice some of the road noise that people mention. I don't have any complaints with that however because it is not excessive in my opinion.

I came out of a wind/road noise machine(suv) so maybe my senses are numb but I think the A6 is relatively quiet in that regard. Especially in the 100mph plus range. I can tell when I hit 100+ mph because the sound switches over from a rumble to a hiss. Naturally I only do this on a closed course with a professional driver.

Anyway, I hope you can take this info to the dealer and request that the visor be replaced. See if that works. BTW, you can tell if they replaced it with a simple switch of the decals before service. Take all of the visible decals off the visor and place them on the inside. They are hidden whent he visor is closed. If they replace it with a new one the decal will be visible immediatley upon entering the car.

I remove my decals because it cleans up the interior. Just place them on the underside with the mirror. Then, if you sell the car simply put them back in the legally required locations.

Brian