A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Will changing to synthetic oil after 70K miles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will changing to synthetic oil after 70K miles...

... be useful or has the "damage" already been done? That is, my 2.7T, 6-speed has had the oil changed every 10K miles as suggested in the manual, but conventional oil has always been used (dealership oil changes, for what it's worth). Is it beneficial to change to synthetic at this point and preclude any further lubrication insults? (I'm also going to switch to 5K oil change intervals.)

Also, from my classic amercian car restoration days, I recall many discussions on forums similar to this that centered around the fact that switching to synthetic oil in a "higher mileage" engine is asking for trouble: leaks and "sludge-release". I always regarded most of that information as myth, but thought I'd bring up this point as well. Any truth or empirical evidence here to support that? (Found one post in the archive supporting the "leak" claim...)

As always, thanks for the guidance.

JW
Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Considering that your car might "live" to 200k... it's still fairly young.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Elder Member

I strongly suggest syn for an engine with turbo's regardless of mileage.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just getting broke in, I changed @ 50k,,, no issues I recommend it.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You should be fine. Most of leaks came from cars with older style seals and gaskets.

I would switch to synth, get in a few hard runs and maybe put on about 300 to 500 miles, then flush it out and replace again. Of the oils that seem to "cause" the most leaks, Mobil 1 seems at the top of the heap. Redline is quite expensive, but seems to be the cause of the fewest (I've seen the Ferrari guys buy it by the barrel, and never heard of leakage issues).
Old 08-31-2004, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here's what Mobil says...

Myths:
Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.

Reality:
Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn<sup>TM</sup> was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn<sup>TM</sup> provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn<sup>TM</sup>. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.<ul><li><a href="http://www.mobil1.com/why/myths.jsp">Mobil 1 Myths</a></li></ul>
Old 08-31-2004, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Myth. Besides, I'd rather have synth leaking out than dino gunk staying in!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Isn't the European/German Mobil different than the North American stuff?

I remember there being an outcry that they changed the formula to use a non-fully-synthetic base like some other "synth" brands, and it's no long a full synthetic in the strictest sense. Perhaps this was a move to allow compatibility with older seals and gaskets.

<a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=3631">"Bedard speaks"</a><ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng9.shtml">Our own AW tech section</a></li></ul>
Old 08-31-2004, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Tried it in my Toyota PU. Poured out everywhere :-(
Old 08-31-2004, 10:12 AM

Hmmm. How many miles? Wondering about using it in our Mazda MPV with 120K.

Quick Reply: Will changing to synthetic oil after 70K miles...