A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

window won't go up

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window won't go up

The electronic on cars nowadays is driving me crazy. I have a Audi A6 98 model and few days ago a new problem has shown itself. The rear window on the passenger side is going down without problem but it doesn't want to go up sometimes. This is only happening while using the window switch on drivers door while it works normal on that door which has the problem. I have been taking of the main window switch on drivers door, opened it, cleaned it and put it back but still nothing. And sometimes it just starts to work without any try to fix it and works for some while until I turn the car off. I have even tried to do the reprogram, like start the car, hold the window switch up for 10 seconds and try then. Last night that worked (or at least I thought so) but today not even that method is helping. When I use the remote control for closing windows, that window is going up without problems. Maybe I should also say that the window behind drivers seat is not going up with the remote but this is like that since I bought the car, almost one year ago. I believe that this is not a hardware problem but something with the computer. But then again, what the hell do I know!? I am totally lost on this one and asking you for some help and tips on this one before I set the car on fire. I have been searching the internet for a solution but can not find anybody who has the same problem. Thank you who even read this post and especial to the one who can help me at least with pointing me what could I try. Greetings from Norway
Old 03-07-2016, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

If the window control unit detects too much resistance on the motor when raising the window (as if something like a child's hand or head is caught), it will reverse the direction of the window. If there is too much friction between the window and the window track, it will do the same thing.

I have found that a liberal coating of silicone spray (fluid) will reduce that friction so the window can complete its closing. Try that first before replacing the motor or window assembly.

Good luck... gb
Old 03-07-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had that problem before that the both of back windows would go half way up and then just goes back down. But then I have used some silicone spray on the window track and now it goes smoothly up. but the actual problem now is that one window doesn't go up at all, not even to move, no reaction from the window motor but only while using the main switch on drivers door. and when I use the switch on that door (right/rear) it goes up and down perfect.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If it works fine with the switch on the door with the window itself, I would question the wires in the driver's door. Check for cracks or worn insulation where the wire harness goes through the door hinge area. The driver's door is usually opened the most and those wires eventually get brittle. I found cracked wires on our door that caused a similar issue.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Clancy, that is the first thing I am gonna try to do tomorrow since I don't have a garage and now it's already dark outside. I have found one cheap window switch for the drivers door but I don't wanna rush into buying it. Couple days ago I have bought the passenger side door lock since the light would not come on when I open the door but that didn't solve the problem. I also bought the window motor for one door because the window was hard going up and replacing the motor did't again fix the problem but the silicone spray did. This is why I would like first to hear people like you about this problem. cheers
Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default The car is almost 20 years old. I'd bet it's the switch.

Originally Posted by acid@rain
The electronic on cars nowadays is driving me crazy. I have a Audi A6 98 model and few days ago a new problem has shown itself. The rear window on the passenger side is going down without problem but it doesn't want to go up sometimes. This is only happening while using the window switch on drivers door while it works normal on that door which has the problem. I have been taking of the main window switch on drivers door, opened it, cleaned it and put it back but still nothing. And sometimes it just starts to work without any try to fix it and works for some while until I turn the car off. I have even tried to do the reprogram, like start the car, hold the window switch up for 10 seconds and try then. Last night that worked (or at least I thought so) but today not even that method is helping. When I use the remote control for closing windows, that window is going up without problems. Maybe I should also say that the window behind drivers seat is not going up with the remote but this is like that since I bought the car, almost one year ago. I believe that this is not a hardware problem but something with the computer. But then again, what the hell do I know!? I am totally lost on this one and asking you for some help and tips on this one before I set the car on fire. I have been searching the internet for a solution but can not find anybody who has the same problem. Thank you who even read this post and especial to the one who can help me at least with pointing me what could I try. Greetings from Norway
I've never had much luck with cleaning window switches…they're a replacement item.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Check out the thread above this one about the rear passenger window problem. You are probably having a broken wire issue in the wiring from the driver's master switch, most likely where the boot covers the loom from the door to the body. The fact that it worked after the reprogram attempt was probably coincidence. When you open and close the door it may be moving the wires around at the location of the break so it occasionally lines up and makes a temporary connection, then moves again when you reposition the door, hit a bump in the road, etc. If you have a Power Probe tool and a wiring diagram you should be able to energize the correct wire at the plug where it connects to the master switch and if you can operate the window this way then your switch is bad. If the window won't operate this way, then it is a wire issue. Power Probes are good tools that work like an old school test light but can also power up a circuit and determine the polarity of the wire. Little LCD screen also give a voltage readout on the wire being tested.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Harleyguy for that tip. I don't have a wiring diagram but maybe if I search the web deep enough... Looks like I have something to do today. Will post when I find (or don't find) something.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks guys, looks like we have found the problem together. It was a snapped wire in that door where the window doesn't want to go up and it looks like few more wires were about to snap. Now I am gonna solder that everything like it should be and everything should be fine then. Thanks to everybody, without your help I would most probably be spending money on new switches and would not fix anything again. Have a wonderful day guys, cheers