A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

The subject of winter tires vs. all season tires comes up repeatedly, and people often decide for all seasons, usually justifying the choice by saying something like "well, we have only xx snow days a year, so I guess I'll go with xxx all season tires."

This makes no sense to me.

Winter tires blow all-seasons into the weeds in the snow and slush, and handle just as well - if not better - performance winter tires handle very well.

Dedicated summer tires blow all seasons into the weeds in the dry, and some such as Dunlop SP9000s, in the wet. This, I think, is truly what the "we only get xx snow days" people are missing. Performance summer tires really are THAT much better.

The cost of switching is minimal, and if that's a problem, steel takeoff wheels are cheap.

So, why all-seasons at all? Why compromise? It's not money - two sets of tires run half the time each will cost as much as one set run the year 'round. The hassle of switching? The cost of switching? (what nonsense - this is the cheapest performance upgrade you can do!)

Thoughts from the all season camp?

Greg
Old 03-28-2001, 05:44 PM

Default Fair statement...my take...

From an all-season guy who's sticking to all-seasons:

I don't feel like I'm driving a race car every time I'm in my A6 (maybe if I had 2.7T I would), therefore why do I need performance Summer tires when all-season will do fine? I understand it would be better, but do I really need it?

As far as the XX (XX being low) days of snow, if I have minimal snow driving days (Rhode Island), why would I want to deal with the hastle of changing tires? Just for a small number of days a year?

For Canada, the northern midwest, the northwest and northern New England/upstate New York, it would seem much more reasonable.

Perhaps, this is just something I'll never see eye to eye with. I just don't see it worth the trouble.

Besides, when do I switch to Summer tires? It's snowed on Mother's Day here in the past.

-Dave
Old 03-28-2001, 06:02 PM

Default Comments...

<I>I don't feel like I'm driving a race car every time I'm in my A6</I>

Neither do I, but I can't predict the need for quick lane-changes or panic stops - both of which are much calmer with summer tires. I speak from experience, my daily commute into Boston.

<I>why would I want to deal with the hastle of changing tires? Just for a small number of days a year? </I>

For the *rest* of the year, when you could be driving with summer tires. And the hassle is so small! A half an hour at a tire shop - if that's too much, get steel take off wheels and do it yourself.

And, as a bonus, when it snows, you've got winter tires - much, much better than all seasons.

Greg
Old 03-28-2001, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had summer tires (V rated) on a Mazda 626 ES V6 a few years back (went through 2 sets) and

then swithched to all seasons (V rated by the same manufacturer) and while the yires were not bad, even good, they couldn't measure up to the summers in grip (wet or dry) and turn in response. Even when driving at a moderately quick pace the difference is noticeable.They were also slightly noisier. Since I don't have to drive every day, I keep the Pirelli 6000's (summer) on all year on my 4.2 with sport pkg. If it's snowing a lot with accumulations I don't drive. If I had to I would have dedicated performance snows. I've used snows before and no all season can come close to match them. If you never experience the difference, you'll never know what you are missing. I agree with Greg.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default BTW - Winter is over in Boston

The SP9000's are going back on the car Friday. Winter is now over in Boston. Thank you. :-)

(I am ignoring the 6' snow bank in my driveway and the foot of snow still in my yard...)
Old 03-28-2001, 06:19 PM

Default I wish you luck....

I've got a couple of feet of snow in the yard and the snowbanks...well..they're there.

I'm planning on switching tires around 4/15.

I can't wait.

Greg
Old 03-28-2001, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

tis why i plan on new winters on stock rims next year, and new 17 wheels and tires in spring 2002
Old 03-28-2001, 07:14 PM

Default Perhaps, that's the best piece of advice.

Considering, I have never experienced snow only and summer only tires, I obviously can't compare. Perhaps, the next set will be for this experiment.

Otherwise I guess I'll have to wait and get that TT, where I'd really be forced into doing it.

BTW: My wife's comment when I told her I was buying "Ultra High Performance All Season Tires" was "Why do you need performance tires?!?!? You already drive too fast!" Imagine if I told her I need two sets to really be able to get the best performance. Ah...she just doesn't get it anyhow...
Old 03-28-2001, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Preferance I guess

I'm with dferr, I just don't see the justification of paying for 2 sets of tires. It all depends on your climate I guess. For me, I'm going to put on snow tires for a max 15 days of bad snow (and that's pushing it)? I don't think so. As for the comment "I can't predict the need for quick lane-changes or panic stops"; are you telling me I'm in danger driving with all season for sudden stops? Again, I don't think so. Call me foolish, I'll risk it. It's obviously all personal preferance.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:00 PM
Elder Member

Default because I only want to switch twice a year

My car spends maybe one or two weeks in snow each year, but not in a row. I live in the SF Bay Area, and the only chance I have of seeing snow is when I go to Lake Tahoe. But do I want to switch my tires every time I go? No.

So I can put the all-seasons on in November, keep them on until April and not have to swap them all the time.

It doesn't really make sense to run snows for 5 months either when it doesn't snow where I live.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires