A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Wiper Arms Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Arms Assembly

Lately my wipers have been moving really slowly and today they finally came to a complete stop, now they always move to the 1 o clock position and stop until I help them out back to their original position...I found a tech article that describes how to fix the problem (for an A4 but I am sure it couldn't be that different), the only problem now is that the wiper arms are totally stuck an I cant seem to be able to slide them off in order to remove the plastic cover and the motor.

Bentley mentions nothing of such a possibility an simply says that you should "wiggle" them out...I have used everything at my disposal and nothing seems to work (I soaked the wiper arm bolt with WD40 and silicone anti-seize for a whole day before attempting this), any ideas guys? I am this close to heading to the stealership...Canadian winter isn't going to be easy with no wiper blades

Thanks

Rami
Old 11-09-2005, 05:47 PM
RLG
AudiWorld Super User

Default Probably beyond this, but...

Are you pushing the arms down against the windshield when trying to loosen the nut? Or are you just trying to break it loose? I find doing the former helps. A lot. As in, it was the only way I could get mine off.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Probably beyond this, but...

I am trying to get them off anyway I can, I used a hammer to bang it on the side in hope that might loosen it up a bit but to no avail. What did you do exactly? just swing the arm around or try to pull it off somehow?

Thanks

Rami
Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 PM
RLG
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Probably beyond this, but...

Actually, I just held the wiper by the thick portion closest to the nut, and pushed it against the windshield as I broke the nut free. It feels like there's some sort of resistance piece in there that works like a spring to keep tension on the wiper. I find myself pushing the wiper against the windshield when I tighten the nut as well, FWIW...

I wouldn't continue with the hammer method. Worst comes to worst, I'm sure the local dealer would loosen the nut for you for free...