A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

WTF?!? (Sunroof Problems - sort of long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF?!? (Sunroof Problems - sort of long)

Before you all attempt to eat me alive, I have done a search using the key words "stuck sunroof" and "sunroof off track" and found no useful information. Anyway, last night I started having problems with me sunroof. Its not the "stuck open" problem everyone seems to be having. My roof and the panel seem to be off track for some reason. It just started yesterday afternoon. I tried to close it and it only went so far, then I noticed the panel was stuck back off in the headliner. The sunroof would not close all the way, I believe, because it was jambing. I was able to use the Total Closure and close it, but the panel was still MIA. I decided to leave it closed until I had an opportunity to look at it. I did that this morning and noticed that now when I close it, it the back of the roof is sticking up slightly similar to the tilt position. I tried opening it and closing it a couple of times and got it so it wont leak if it rains. I did come across the panel in my travels and realized that it is off track as well, so I just pulled it all the way shut. I can wiggle it from side to side and it gets hung up trying to slide forward and backward. Whenever I try to open the sunroof I hear like a grinding plastic noise and thats when the sunroof stops working. Only the Total Closure, and I'm assuming manually closing it will close the roof. I have an aftermarket warranty (60mo/60k mile) and I am looking to see if it is covered. This car is starting to **** me off. When I first got it a few months ago, It was in the shop 4 times in the first 2 weeks. Are there any ideas on things that I can do myself that could possibly fix this? By the way, the car in question is an 01 2.7T. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Re: WTF?!? (Sunroof Problems - sort of long)

By the way, I found Q-Frogs post "Sunroof By Satan" and found that it was for the Rockwell/Golde sunroof, whereas I have the Webasto roof. I saw the Webasto logo on one of my glide pieces. I have found very little info on those units.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I had a similar problem in my 2000 A6 4.2

I was trying find a nasty head liner rattle, and in my frustration I pushed up on the inner cover for the sun roof a little two firmly, and broke the track. After looking at it carefully I realized the design, while mechically acceptable from a functional standpoint, was a friggin disaster from a longevity standpoint. The cover in my wifes Maxima and several other brand cars, simple road in a wide plastic groove, while the Audi is this overly complex pin and groove and gear design...

Sounds like you need to replace the entire mechanism for the cover...sorry to hear that...

Mike
Old 09-25-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: WTF?!? (Sunroof Problems - sort of long)

Ok, now I am really starting to get pissed off. Just a few minutes ago, I went to park the car and attempted to open the door, and something pulled loose inside the door and the door would not open (it was unlocked). The only way I could get it open was to roll the window down and open it with the outside handle. PHUC! I am going to take the door panel off either today or tomorrow and see if I can fix the problem. I saw a good article on taking the panel off. Hopefully that will get me going. I am almost ready to trade it in once I fix it. But for some strange reason, whenever I drive it, I forget about all the problems with the car. It might be time to get a GS430.