A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

xenon headlamps, one yellow, one blue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xenon headlamps, one yellow, one blue?

I noticed recently that my xenon headlights are different! The left one has the expected bluish hue, but the right one has a yellow hue.

Could i have gotten one xenon and one non-xenon lamp? Are the bulbs interchangeable or is it a completely different setup/housing etc.? Anyone experience a change in hue of their xenon lamps after awhile?
Old 01-12-2002, 08:53 PM

Default They are not interchangeable. Xenons use a high voltage ballast fired power supply.............

You probably have a problem. But it seems to me that the xenon lamp would not function if it had a problem. Have your dealer look at it.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not likely, a HID lamp is considerably different than a standard halogen...

The HID uses a ballast, etc. that are completely different...

An HID light, turns on in a very distinct manner... when you lights are "cold", have someone turn them on and watch how they light up... I'm sure both will light up the same way... kinda "spark" on and then settle into their colors.

Seems like you may have a lamp that might fail soon, so I'd have it checked out by the dealer.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Elder Member

Default not interchangable

I had a unit replaced and my colors were quite mistatched for a while. They appear to change color slightly over time, so after a little bit of time they both tend toward the same color.

You can't interchange a Xenon and Halogen bulb in the same cluster.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some are just slightly different shades of white...some a little more bluish...

some less so...there's nothing wrong with your lights...
Someone here had the same thing after one was replaced ~6-8 months ago...he wanted to get the other replaced also, so that they would look the same...don't know what the ultimate outcome was.

Your lights are fine though, but I do believe Steve is right, in that over time the lights may gradually change from a more bluish hue to the more yellowish...my 4.2's lights don't seem near as "blue" as they were a year ago...not yellow, just not blue. There was some discussion that the xenon light manufacturers were making them less blue than they used to...I don't know if there is any validity to that, however...I believe the exact hue is due to the slightly different concentrations of gasses within the "bulb".

Your dealer may be reluctant to change the other "bulb" also, just to have them look more the same.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:30 AM

Default It's conceivable that each light has different impurities in its gases.

That's how neon lights come in different colors, and the xenons are just glorified neon lights.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies...i'll have the dealer check it out!
Old 01-13-2002, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There are two different bulbs available...blue and yellow....

The A8L came with yellow (which I prefer).
Audi will sell you both colors.
The yellow is slightly more expensive and much better light IMHO.
I have the Euros on my S4 (yards better than stock) and I prefer the overall lighting on the A8 by far.
I would ask for another yellow bulb if I were you to balance out your car.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:37 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I seem to recall Audi use Hella bulbs & they plan to switch production to yellow

I don't know the reasoning, but I've heard that Hella are (or will be) switching to yellow-hued Xenon bulbs. The light cast should be similar (to an extent) to the "blue" Xenons, but the appearance to other vehicles will differ. It might be something to do with dazzle protection, as some people seem to be sensitive to the bluer light.

See the URL for more information from the horse's mouth...<ul><li><a href="http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_en/ProductsServices/ForDriversAccessories/XenonHeadlamps/InfoXenonLight/InfoXenonLight.jsp">Hella Xenon bulb information</a></li></ul>
Old 01-17-2002, 09:10 AM

Default Re: I seem to recall Audi use Hella bulbs & they plan to switch production to yellow

Hella does not produce bulbs only lamps. They source their Xenon burners from Osram or Phillips.

Ron

2002 A4 1.8T, Sport Pkg., Xenon Headlamps, 18" BBS CH Wheels, X-Pel paint and headlamp protection