A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Xenon problem again..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xenon problem again..

I have posted on this problem before but never really got the answers I was looking for. He is my problem, my Xenon on the driver's side does the proper movement when switched on (moves up, down slightly and remains) but after about a minute or two it drops all the way down and shines on the ground right in front of the car, pretty much useless for driving above 20 mph at night.

My business partners car (identical to mine) is still under warranty and is set to go back to AFS in the next month or so. If I remove the housing on his and replace it with mine, will that solve the problem? Meaning is the fault in the housing or is there some module that is telling the housing and its internal components to lower the beam. I have no problem scamming this repair with Audi as mine has been repaired 3 times and is now out of warranty.

My other thought is that I have read that you can adjust the parameters of the up and down movement with a VAG-COM, would it be possible to adjust my lower parameter almost all the way up thefore when it drops down it is still at an exceptable level. Is this all wishfull thinking and I am just screwed and need to pony up for the repair?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

illegal [i think] but yet again id do the same!...sounds like that would be the fix to me
Old 08-12-2004, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is really normally not my style but I am so frustrated

with how many times it has been in for the same thing. I hate to pay $500 or more and have it happen again in 1 year. So you think all the controls are contained in the housing?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i do...but there could be a gyroscope somewhere else...have you tryed unpluging the headlights and..

manualy leveling?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No I haven't, if there was a gyro I would think it would be

just one used for both, so the passenger side should drop as well. Not sure on manually aiming them and what to unplug actually, any thoughts?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

im not the best about this i know very little about xenons...but seems there should be a fail mode?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think I will try swapping the housing and see what happens, thanks for the help.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:55 PM

Default Mine has the same problem. Passenger Side. I am certified though. I have heard of this before

The fix was a total replacement of both the headlights. I don't think a manual adjustment will do any good, because if is like mine, it will rise up some times, which would blind oncoming traffic. Mine seems to be more prevalent in cold wet weather, but it has been worse over the past month in hot weather.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If you had the same issue before (under warranty) - sounds liket hey should be able to fix

for free....
Am I right?
This is what I've been told when dealer didn't find anything wrong with my car (OK frosen on gauge panel)....
Did you call audi?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Time to epoxy the gears so they don't move ;-)

Seems to me that this auto leveling thing is more trouble than it is worth. Mine are not auto leveling and have never been a problem. Don't really see why you need this feature unless you drive with a heavy load in the back. Even then, do as I did, adjust the high beams and the low separately. Unless you have bi xenon that is.

Quick Reply: Xenon problem again..