A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

$854 to lower my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $854 to lower my car

$229.000 H&R Springs
$450.000 Installation
$175.000 Alignment

From previous posts it seems expensive. Is that what I should expect to pay?

Thanks,

Jason

www.jasoncan.com
Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: $854 to lower my car

I'm not sure about the price, but I will say this, I almost can't believe how friggin HUGE the wheel gap is on these beasts. It's downright embarassing (I just have the regular suspension, not sport or adjustable).
Old 08-25-2006, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: whuuu, hunh????

I guess maybe depending on where you live but that seems seriously steep. I got the Eibach Pro Kit for $280 + $250 to install & $65 for alignment.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Do not replace the springs without replacing the struts. That is CHEAP imho....

This is absolutely true. I plan on upgrading the stock struts very soon to Koni's. But the price jaycan stated for the basic spring replacement IMO is high.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Do not replace the springs without replacing the struts. That is CHEAP imho....

The only reason I want to change only the springs is for looks not performance. I hate the wheel gap. So spending $2000-$3000 on springs and struts is not worth it for me. I will only keep the car for 1 to 1 1/2 years and will never see that money back when I sell the car.

What is the worst thing that can happen if I change only the springs? I am getting conflicting answers. If it will really screw up the car then I might have no choice but to change both.

Thanks,

www.jasoncan.com
Old 08-26-2006, 10:54 AM

What do you recommend?
Old 08-26-2006, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think you gave the most evident answer back when you said "looks". If you're only going for looks & you really honestly plan on having the car for only 1 to 1 1/2 years then I think chaing the springs only is fine. I mean not everyone is tuner!

I've had both the 05 S4 with H&R's & now the C6 A6 with Eibach's & the S4 is a totally different car & I truely believe mmart is right in regards to that particular car. It road like crap, bounced a lot & even though I was running 19's, it rubbed badly on minor bumps.

With the bigger A6 & running only Eibach's for now I rarely rub (keeping in mind I'm running a 35 offset on my rims which are 20x9) except on the most extreme dips & the ride difference is barely noticeable compared to stock IMO. I plan on gettng the Koni's because I actually plan on keeping the A6 for a couple of years while the S4 I only had for 1yr.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowered my bimmer6er w / Eibachs and Blistens - Love it

Handles really nice now. I may end up doing the same with the Audi<ul><li><a href="http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/tmatern">http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/tmatern</a</li></ul>
Old 08-27-2006, 06:24 PM

A couple more things to think about. In my mind, an A6 is meant for cruising, taking out clients, and decent ride comfort without the harshness of a true sport-tuned suspension. A4's and A3's are all about the stiffer suspensions and the choices are infinite. If, you choose to go with a spring and strut replacement on the A6 you should try everything possible to ride in a vehicle equipped with your chosen setup whenever possible. For instance, on my 2001 B5 A4 Avant I have Neuspeed springs AND the only version of Bilsteins available through Neuspeed at the time of purchase. The gap is gone and my 19's only rub up front on super tight, very bumpy turns so all is well there. The real problem is Neuspeed spec'd a valving on the Bilsteins (confirmed by Bilstein) that leans toward a track firmness setting so the slow speed, city street ride comfort is horrid. The ride is tight and not good for impressing clients or neighbors who just want to go out to dinner in comfort. The difference between my stock 17's and my 19's is barely noticeable. My neighbor's B6 A4 Avant with the same springs and stock shocks/struts rides much softer, also with 19's, so my wife constantly remarks why I screwed up my A4 so badly.

I too have just recently purchased a new 2006 A6 Avant which did not have a Sport package suspension option available at the time of ordering. Yes, the current gap is way to large and I must do something about it ASAP to clean up the looks of the vehicle. I have learned that trying to go with an aftermarket "sport" suspension almost always lands me in the "track day setting" world, thus passengers complain non-stop or just get quiet overall. Especially when an A6 is concerned, I would encourage you to think about "ride comfort" first and stick with a softer spring to work with the stock struts/shocks. You will not have height adjustability but your wife and future passengers will not be chattering in your ear about the poor ride comfort. If you don't like the ride you can always keep the springs and simply change to a new strut/shock combo identified down the road. Spending money unless you ride in the identical vehicle will most likely be money wasted on your A6.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I paid $250 for Eibachs, $200 install and $50 alignment..very happy I did it.

Quick Reply: $854 to lower my car