A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

06 Slow to Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Slow to Start

My 2006 A6 with the 3.2 engine, lately it has been taking forever to actually start up. Like I have to hold the key in crank for a few seconds before it will start up. Maybe 5 seconds at most.

It only does it when I go to start it after having sit for a while (sometimes as most as a week without being driven to a few hours sitting outside during the cold). If lets say I drive to dinner, it will be slow to start when I first get in to leave, but when I get back in after dinner to leave it will fire right up almost instantly.

Its been winter here for a while and I don't recall it doing it when it was warmer. It that just how Audis are in the cold? Its in a garage, so its not as cold as it is outside.

Changed the oil about 700 miles ago during December with Castroil VW502 spec.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

have you checked the battery lately? The symptoms you've described are indicative of a battery needing to be changed.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
have you checked the battery lately? The symptoms you've described are indicative of a battery needing to be changed.
I checked it in MMI and it said 100%, however I have not put the battery checker on it to check cold cranking amps. I believe it might be the original battery.

I know it didn't do it when I bought it back in September (it was hot then…).
Old 03-15-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Don't trust the mmi entirely. Check the battery first, then we can start the process of elimination to determine possible solutions. Thnx
Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I put the battery tester on it and it came up with around 720 Cold Cranking Amps. That sound about right? Put a small battery tender on it as well to see how that will do.

Last edited by areitzel; 03-17-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: i can't type
Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by areitzel
My 2006 A6 with the 3.2 engine, lately it has been taking forever to actually start up. Like I have to hold the key in crank for a few seconds before it will start up. Maybe 5 seconds at most.

It only does it when I go to start it after having sit for a while (sometimes as most as a week without being driven to a few hours sitting outside during the cold). If lets say I drive to dinner, it will be slow to start when I first get in to leave, but when I get back in after dinner to leave it will fire right up almost instantly.

Its been winter here for a while and I don't recall it doing it when it was warmer. It that just how Audis are in the cold? Its in a garage, so its not as cold as it is outside.

Changed the oil about 700 miles ago during December with Castroil VW502 spec.
I went through the same thing this winter as it got below freezing here in Michigan in my 05 A6. it started off as slow start, and would be ok after the second start. eventually i had to start jumping the battery in the morning. Battery was original from factor, so it lasted a good 8 years. Audi wanted $260 for a new battery that had 650 CCA. i purchased one for $140 from advanced auto parts that has 950 CCA and with weather being 40 below in michigan, that extra 300 is nice to have.

a big indication would be your headlights and interior lights dim and flicker when you get into the car before start up.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AFrancis
I went through the same thing this winter as it got below freezing here in Michigan in my 05 A6. it started off as slow start, and would be ok after the second start. eventually i had to start jumping the battery in the morning. Battery was original from factor, so it lasted a good 8 years. Audi wanted $260 for a new battery that had 650 CCA. i purchased one for $140 from advanced auto parts that has 950 CCA and with weather being 40 below in michigan, that extra 300 is nice to have.

a big indication would be your headlights and interior lights dim and flicker when you get into the car before start up.

Which battery did you get, and how's that working for you?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

One thing you also want to check and see is if the battery is registered with the car. If not it causes a bunch of issues.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by enoch861
One thing you also want to check and see is if the battery is registered with the car. If not it causes a bunch of issues.
Pretty sure it is. Its an Audi battery (Varta), I bought it used but the previous owner (only 1) had all the service done at an Audi Dealer in California every time it was called for. I can't tell but it might be the original one.

Is there anything bad with NOT using an Audi battery if I replace it? I have a friend that is the head battery man at NAPA and I have been getting steep discounts (like $70 for a big battery) from him. I don't care for our local Audi dealer here in Charlotte NC (fortunately Hendrick is almost finished building a new one), they know they are the only Audi dealer and they charge like it.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have new Bosch battery that I just installed in my S6. I tried to code it with VAG but there were only two brands (I've never heard of) to select under 61 - Battery Regulation. So I left it uncoded. I don't have any fault codes showing up.

Quick Reply: 06 Slow to Start