A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

07 A6 - XM Install w/ NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 A6 - XM Install w/ NAV?

I just bought an '07 A6. It came with NAV but no SAT. So I bought an XM receiver and took it to my local Audi dealer for what I hoped would be a quick and painless installation. They quoted $150 over the phone. That’s when the fun started.

First Carousel told me that because the NAV wasn't factory installed, they'd have to "splice" the receiver's output into the FO (est. $600 P&L). Then they'd have to rip out the Sirius antenna and install an XM antenna (which required painting, P&L, etc). This was another ungodly amount of money. I'm guessing what these fine fellows wanted was to sell and install a new Sirius module, for the low, low price of around $1300. So much for painless.

Through some research on this site, I've been able to figure out that I only need a splitter to allow the XM receiver to work with the factory installed antenna (not sure where the splitter installs yet). So that suggests that the antenna problem is solved.

What about the flak re: a dealer installed NAV? Does that preclude an easy SAT installation? If not is it pretty much plug-and-play as many of the posts on this forum suggest? I would really, really like to get this to work myself and pay a return visit to the rep that tried to sell me that bill of goods.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just stick with Sirius? Isn't it all the same anyways now after the merger?

Originally Posted by davehane
I just bought an '07 A6. It came with NAV but no SAT. So I bought an XM receiver and took it to my local Audi dealer for what I hoped would be a quick and painless installation. They quoted $150 over the phone. That’s when the fun started.

First Carousel told me that because the NAV wasn't factory installed, they'd have to "splice" the receiver's output into the FO (est. $600 P&L). Then they'd have to rip out the Sirius antenna and install an XM antenna (which required painting, P&L, etc). This was another ungodly amount of money. I'm guessing what these fine fellows wanted was to sell and install a new Sirius module, for the low, low price of around $1300. So much for painless.

Through some research on this site, I've been able to figure out that I only need a splitter to allow the XM receiver to work with the factory installed antenna (not sure where the splitter installs yet). So that suggests that the antenna problem is solved.

What about the flak re: a dealer installed NAV? Does that preclude an easy SAT installation? If not is it pretty much plug-and-play as many of the posts on this forum suggest? I would really, really like to get this to work myself and pay a return visit to the rep that tried to sell me that bill of goods.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I already have the XM unit, but that's not the point. It seems the dealer lied to me about the factory antenna not working with an XM receiver. I'd like to know if they also lied about any SAT unit not working in an A6 with dealer installed NAV.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. Maybe I am wrong, but what does NAV have to do with Sat radio? Seems like those should be completely separate options, that was the case when we added Sat radio to our S600 with Nav.

Your MMI controls the two, so not sure how they are intertwined. Perhaps you should get a second opinion on this.

Originally Posted by davehane
I already have the XM unit, but that's not the point. It seems the dealer lied to me about the factory antenna not working with an XM receiver. I'd like to know if they also lied about any SAT unit not working in an A6 with dealer installed NAV.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. I don't know what the two have to do with each other. The dealer implied that since my NAV wasn't factory installed, they'd have to do extra work ($600 in parts and labor) so that the NAV and new SAT box could live together peacefully. And they had to do that regardless of whether or not the SAT was Sirius or XM.

I think their story is a load of you know what. Hopefully somebody here can say "yes, it is and here's why."