A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

08 A6 Headlight upgrade to 09 A6 Headlight with LED DRL

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris@ECStuning
Our pleasure!
Hey Chris, is there any black filler plate that goes with this? Thank you!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm going to upgrade my A6C6 to headlights from S6. I've already bought thr lamps and I don't know what should I begin from. I have central electronic modyle with number: 4F0 910 297 L.Does this module operate the lamps from S6? Can I ask sombody for clear instruction how to change the headlights S6 for full working in my car? And one thing more, I live in Ireland, so my car is RHD, may question is: the module is under steering wheel only in LHD version or always there whatever the version is? I hope I'll get right advices, because I've read many furums alredy and there were too many differance between instruction. At this moment I have factory fitted halogen haedlights. Many thanks for help, friends.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by krustyx
Hey Chris, is there any black filler plate that goes with this? Thank you!
There sure are! Click here for S6 plate fillers.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello. I ask for help. I bought the lamp from the RS6 (bi-xenon, LED, AFS) to upgrade my Szósteczki. My request is that someone advised me what to do in order to operate the AFS modules in the new RS6 lamps (now I have a factory halogen lamps without daily), and which way is best, without taking apart half the car, carry the cables from the engine compartment inside the car (preferably the left side) ? For any advice and information Thank you in advance
Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jetshine
Here is a quick preview photo and video.
I have finished most of the work to install the headlights. I elected to have my headlights (specifically, the LED DRLs) operate as they do on the RS6.. which involves a number of wiring changes. This means that they dim when the headlights are on, and also dim when the turn signal is selected, on the same side as the turn signal. Check out this video to see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atiOcEpukqw
I will take another video tomorrow during the day so that you can better see the lights without the saturation effect I was getting trying to capture it in the evening.

If you can live with just having the DRLs turn on at full brightness during the daytime, you can get away with fewer wiring changes, and I think you can do the wiring changes inside the headlight only. I say "I think" because I ran into curious wiring differences between my '08 and the wiring required for an '09+ A6 or RS6. There simply weren't enough wires in the headlight harness (vehicle side) to be able to properly control the LED DRL... to turn them on, +12V (power) is required at pin 10 of the connector, while pin 12 controls the illumination level with a pulse-width modulated (PWM) signal. On the '08, pin 12 is power to the DRL lamp, and on my car, there was no wire in pin 10 on the right side... only the left side had a wire going into pin location 10, but I could not trace it back to a matching pin at the central electronics module under the steering wheel. So I have no idea what that wire is for... it's not documented in the Bentley repair manual. I would guess the A6 shares this harness with some other model car (VW or Audi), maybe it gets used in another application.

Anyway, I will start a new thread with a full DIY, I took quite a few pictures along the way. If you go the same route as me (with full dimming functions), you will also need to get a few repair wires from your local VW/Audi dealer, so that you can re-pin the headlight connectors slightly. You also need to either buy, borrow, or make your own tool to release the pins in the connector housings, they have locking mechanisms that keep the pins from backing out without a tool.

Still remaining to do, I need to troubleshoot why I'm getting an auto-check warning for MAIN BEAM bulb out.... with the way I it wired, and the way I have the central electronics module coded (3, Bi-Xenon Headlights with AFS), it shouldn't even be checking for presence of this bulb -- that bulb would only be present with halogen composite headlights. Hopefully I'll get this resolved... I remember reading about a similar problem that someone over in Europe ran into. The engineers at Audi seem to have done some creative things here.
Any updates jetshine? I pm'ed you.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-19-2010, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jetshine
Here is a quick preview photo and video.
I have finished most of the work to install the headlights. I elected to have my headlights (specifically, the LED DRLs) operate as they do on the RS6.. which involves a number of wiring changes. This means that they dim when the headlights are on, and also dim when the turn signal is selected, on the same side as the turn signal. Check out this video to see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atiOcEpukqw
I will take another video tomorrow during the day so that you can better see the lights without the saturation effect I was getting trying to capture it in the evening.

If you can live with just having the DRLs turn on at full brightness during the daytime, you can get away with fewer wiring changes, and I think you can do the wiring changes inside the headlight only. I say "I think" because I ran into curious wiring differences between my '08 and the wiring required for an '09+ A6 or RS6. There simply weren't enough wires in the headlight harness (vehicle side) to be able to properly control the LED DRL... to turn them on, +12V (power) is required at pin 10 of the connector, while pin 12 controls the illumination level with a pulse-width modulated (PWM) signal. On the '08, pin 12 is power to the DRL lamp, and on my car, there was no wire in pin 10 on the right side... only the left side had a wire going into pin location 10, but I could not trace it back to a matching pin at the central electronics module under the steering wheel. So I have no idea what that wire is for... it's not documented in the Bentley repair manual. I would guess the A6 shares this harness with some other model car (VW or Audi), maybe it gets used in another application.

Anyway, I will start a new thread with a full DIY, I took quite a few pictures along the way. If you go the same route as me (with full dimming functions), you will also need to get a few repair wires from your local VW/Audi dealer, so that you can re-pin the headlight connectors slightly. You also need to either buy, borrow, or make your own tool to release the pins in the connector housings, they have locking mechanisms that keep the pins from backing out without a tool.

Still remaining to do, I need to troubleshoot why I'm getting an auto-check warning for MAIN BEAM bulb out.... with the way I it wired, and the way I have the central electronics module coded (3, Bi-Xenon Headlights with AFS), it shouldn't even be checking for presence of this bulb -- that bulb would only be present with halogen composite headlights. Hopefully I'll get this resolved... I remember reading about a similar problem that someone over in Europe ran into. The engineers at Audi seem to have done some creative things here.
Any updates? My headlamps will be here any day and any wiring help would be great!!
Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would also love to see a link to the full DIY.

Allegro.pl (Polish version of eBay) has a number of RS6 headlight sets for about 1K, including bulbs, ballasts, and modules.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Or if someone has a German RS6 Bentley manual they can send me the wiring info, I'm pretty sure my brother and I will be able to figure it out.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any updated jetshine. Headlamps came today and look pretty cool in person!!
Now just need my grill May do headlights first and if jetshine has no updates my try my own diy step by step.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
Any updates? My headlamps will be here any day and any wiring help would be great!!
Thanks,
Bob
If you want to have full functionality of led's you'll need to feed one more wire PWM to control it ( dimm it ).If you have new N revision of power module 09 installed in the car pre 2009, there are some changes in the wiring. DRL should be connected at pin 6 (left) and 1(right) of connector T10 (power module). PWM signal should be connected at pin 3 (left)and 14 (right) of 32pin connector.If your car is pre 09' it means that you'll loose your side indicators, 09+ cars have indicators installed in wing mirrors.

Quick Reply: 08 A6 Headlight upgrade to 09 A6 Headlight with LED DRL