A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

19 inch tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts
Default 19 inch tires

I am thinking of moving up to 19 inch tires for my car. However, I have the stock suspension and am not sure how the wheel gap is going to look with the 19 inch tires. Is anyone running 19 inch tires on the base suspension? If so, can you post some photos? I would also appreciate hearing about the ride quality and what size tires you are running. I am thinking of 265/35. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:06 AM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I would also appreciate hearing about the ride quality and what size tires you are running. I am thinking of 265/35. Thanks.
Hi KevinGary

I upgraded my rims to 19, a can say like almost 2 year. Some background, I purchase used oem rims from Audi S5 which they are: tires 255/35 r19 and rim 19/8.5 ET 32 and they look amazing. They stick out like an +/- an inch and it makes the car to look very aggressive. The only thing for me is that my car is has AAS aka air suspension so no big difference between the fender and tire.

As For the ride, it didn't change the quality of the ride but they improved the stability of the car.

And for the 265 idk mine with 255 looks great but I think that is a personal choice.

If you like too I can post some pic for reference.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by IMD
Hi KevinGary

I upgraded my rims to 19, a can say like almost 2 year. Some background, I purchase used oem rims from Audi S5 which they are: tires 255/35 r19 and rim 19/8.5 ET 32 and they look amazing. They stick out like an +/- an inch and it makes the car to look very aggressive. The only thing for me is that my car is has AAS aka air suspension so no big difference between the fender and tire.

As For the ride, it didn't change the quality of the ride but they improved the stability of the car.

And for the 265 idk mine with 255 looks great but I think that is a personal choice.

If you like too I can post some pic for reference.

Thanks
Pics would be great. I am also considering the S5 rims!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:27 PM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Sure, but i have a hard time uploading the pictures.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KevinGary.. its a pleasure to offer you some help. youve been great help to me and to many others on this forum.

i actually run 19s stock B8S4 setup in summer and my stock C6A6 18 setup in winter...i actually prefer the 19s because looks AND improved road performance...im not one of those guys who wants to float down the road w an overly soft and isolated ride.

if your suspension is in top shape u may not notice any loss in ride comfort..if your suspension is at the end of its life cycle u prob will notice that the 19s will hide the wear less and may feel bumps more

i would try to steer u to go OEM... u can find a great deal on OEM wheels take offs.. u wont have to mess with mounting and balancing and will just bolt them (at most u may need hub rings which is easy) doing this u will find audi stnd on most 19s is 255 35

with this the circumference does not change much... essentially u +1 size in wheel but -1 is sidewall. its approximately 1% increase is size and your speedo will read 59 when u r actually going 60. technically u may increase ride heigh ~4mm and reduce wheel arch gap ~4mm. a lower offset # will bring the wheel out from center and can/will also bring the fender closer.

this said ...yes technically doing all this u r reducing gap... but in reality .. visually the changes send more attention there ...its like the eyes focus more there... and the gap will likely look bigger..its like an optical illusion

please let me know if i can clarify anything i wrote or if i can help further

I have a 4.2 w OEM SLine Sport suspension *see Avatar or u can find many pics on here but heres some pics of an AZ members car that will give u a better idea of what ur setup would look like...

Last edited by MainlandMig; 10-23-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: my text included "<" and in html it makes text invisible
Old 10-21-2012, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

MainlandMig,

Thanks for the kind words and the pics. Your car looks great!

My struts were placed were replaced 35k miles ago and the control arms and sway bar links were replaced 5k miles ago so the suspension is in pretty good shape. So I think that I am going to take the plunge and jump to 19s for my summer tires.

Thanks again.

Last edited by KevinGary; 10-21-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey everyone,
I have had exactly the same questions couple of years ago. I agree with everything that Mainlandmig said and I can definitely confirm that going with 19" rims will create optical illusion and gap will be over-pronounced.
Once I installed my 19" rims, I thought my car looked line a grasshopper and was totally jacked up. it will also depend on the type of the rims you are getting. If you get rims with thinner spokes, effect will be worse. thicker the spokes, less of a gap...
I didn't like the look.
My suggestion is to stay with 18s if you are going to go with OEM suspension. If you lower your car with eibach or something similar, than 19s would work like a charm.
Here are few photos of before and after...
Attached Images      
Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Oooooo, yes that pic of the car riding high is not so good, lower looks much better. Your right, that is quite an illusion from the 18-19 on the tall car. Looks totally wrong.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 PM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Default pic

Sorry for the late posting
Attached Images      
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Default pic 2