A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2005 A6 4.2 Intermittent Vibrations from the rer

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 A6 4.2 Intermittent Vibrations from the rer

Hey there, Just wondering if anyone could place a finger on what's causing this weird vibrations i've been experiencing.

Frequency: Intermittent-but occurs only in 6th gear and past 60MPH

Sound: sounds like when you go over the strips on the highway when you get too close to the side.

Looked over the car and didn't seem like anything was loose. I'm in Champaign IL and the nearest audi dealership is an hour away, i was hoping to maybe get an idea of what it might be before heading over and finding out they don't have the part.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Tim

P.s im hoping it isn't the quattro acting up.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like nearly the exact symptoms I'm having. I suspect my torque converter is going bad, and what started as only being in 6th gear is now happening in lower gears.

No codes set, but I'm going on a road trip this evening, and will be logging the data via VCDS.

I think the feeling that it is coming from the rear of the car is really just where the driveline is transmitting the shudder.

Originally Posted by timocide
Hey there, Just wondering if anyone could place a finger on what's causing this weird vibrations i've been experiencing.

Sound: sounds like when you go over the strips on the highway when you get too close to the side.

Looked over the car and didn't seem like anything was loose. I'm in Champaign IL and the nearest audi dealership is an hour away, i was hoping to maybe get an idea of what it might be before heading over and finding out they don't have the part.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Tim

Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will be taking the car down to the dealer tomr, i'll let you know what they come up with. Any luck with the VCDS?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will be taking the car down to the dealer tomr, i'll let you know what they come up with. Any luck with the VCDS?
I live in Bloomington, IL I assume you are taking your car to Suds. If you car is not under any type of Warranty I recomend taking it to an indy shop in Peoria called Kauth & Mayeur. Good people and they know Audi
Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Screw me.... They said that the transmission fluid smells funny. So it's a transmission problem. They want to do a transmission flush but if that doesn't work it's $8k+ to change the transmission.

Anybody know if a transmission flush would solve a vibration problem or are they trying to get me to flush $800 down the bowl just for kicks?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 918 Likes on 750 Posts

The myth of lifetime ATF!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on your car?

Thanks!
Cheers,
Tim

Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have the exact same thing going on with my 4.2

Thanks!
Cheers,
Tim

Old 10-26-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 918 Likes on 750 Posts

Have you looked at this TSB in the library linked in my signature?

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Transmiss...ear%20axle.pdf
Old 10-26-2011, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Have you looked at this TSB in the library linked in my signature?

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Transmiss...ear%20axle.pdf
In my case at least, the noise is under light throttle in 6th and 5th gear. It _feels_ like rumble strips. When I used VCDS to log the data, there's a fluctuation between engine RPM and Transmission RPM when this happens. I'll try to post a graph of the data later, but it sure seems like the torque converter clutch is 'shuddering'. No codes set, though, and if the RPM's go above 2k or heavier throttle, the problem goes away.

Quick Reply: 2005 A6 4.2 Intermittent Vibrations from the rer