A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 A6 dead battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 A6 dead battery issues

Hi,
i got an issue with my A6 that I'm hoping some of you can help me out.
​​I was on my way to work today and the EPC light came on. I managed to pull over and then all the gauges stopped working and everything powered off...the engine was still running then I shut it off. I waited a bit then tried to re start it but it seemed like the battery was dead, it did the weak little clicks then stopped all together. The battery gauge on the mmi showed that it was 10% so I got a buddy to help and we installed a new battery but when I tried to start it, it still clicks like the battery is dead. We tried jump starting it and starts but when I turn it off and try again, it thinks that the battery is dead and the battery is showing 12.55 volts on a meter( the mmi also shows very low battery).
The connections and everything looks good and tight, no corrosion or anything.
Im at a loss as to what's wrong with it.
​​​​​​
Old 10-17-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It sounds like the battery management circuit is faulty, so the car thinks the battery is flat and shuts everything down. Have you been able to scan for fault codes with VCDS? Would be a good next step if not already done.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I ve only been able to pull the codes with a odbII and all it had was the p0562 which is that low voltage.
When I managed to get it started with a jump, the battery, which is in the trunk, reads just about 12 v while is running but the jumper posts in the engine compartment reads 14-15 v so it makes me think that the alternator is good.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:42 PM
mkv
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you have such a voltage difference between the jump posts in the engine bay and the battery posts, you may have a bad connection somewhere.

Check if the jump posts in the engine bay are getting really hot after starting and during charging. There's a common fault where the crimp at the positive jump post develops poor contact.
Also check the main earth connection from the engine to the chassis rail, accessed from underneath.

Then also check the main earth point from the battery to the body, and all connections around the battery and battery module.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Finally figured it out!!!
It turned out to be the battery disconnect little switch, the one that shears in the event of an accident. Somehow it got triggered because I bypassed it and everything works now.
Now I gotta figure out why it was triggered.

Thanks for all the input guys

Old 10-18-2018, 10:09 PM
mkv
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great stuff!

Although as you've already said, you really need to find out why that triggered! I would scan the SRS/Airbag module for faults. As far as I know, that switch is activated directly by that module. And I don't know about you, but I don't really want my SRS module doing random things
Old 01-05-2020, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buickm
It turned out to be the battery disconnect little switch, the one that shears in the event of an accident. Somehow it got triggered because I bypassed it and everything works now.

where exactly is this switch because I’m having a similar problem only something keep draining my battery
Old 03-27-2021, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery Audi A6 2006 I see you say it triggered the thing that happens when he h

Originally Posted by Buickm

Any help on this Audi a six 2006 dead battery issues where is the switch that triggers the shut off for the battery when you have an accident that’s what I seen on the earlier post please give me